Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wiring harness vs doing it yourself

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    You do not need to keep the Lucas voltage regulator in the mix. It can go into the trash can of history.
    I don't know about your harness but am not too happy about having ALL the lighting circuits (green wires) coming off one fuse. I broke mine down into instrument, interior, accessory and other circuits that have their own fuses. The white switched power wiring also has its own circuits for things like the senders (yup it's fused too). Also, diagrammed above shows virtually no wiring protection for the headlamp circuit. Kinda scary by today's standards.
    However if you are shooting for keeping things original, then I guess you're OK as long as you don't try to overburden what's there.
    Remember, fuses protect WIRING, not the thing at the end of the wire that's doing the work.
    So they prevent having major meltdowns of your harness.
    Bill, I gutted the regulator and hid a 10 circuit fuse box inside, still looks original, but it'll be a completely modern harness when I'm done.

I did end up getting the full harness for a pos earth conversion from our hosts. Just need to change a few of the terminals unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Partsman View Post
    Bill, I gutted the regulator and hid a 10 circuit fuse box inside, still looks original, but it'll be a completely modern harness when I'm done.
    Yup cool idea! I thought about that for a hot second but there was just too much to cram in there

Yup cool idea! I thought about that for a hot second but there was just too much to cram in there
    Yeah, it's not easy, but since I've got nothing but time on my hands with this project, it's a fun challenge to do, I'm about 60% done with my new harness, I should be done with it by the trucks "Birthday" on April 22nd. I'll take a couple days off from work and install it then, weather permitting of course.

How have folks found the wire harnesses our hosts sell in terms of both wire colors matching the diagrams and the correct clips
    / connectors on the end? Asking as it seems to be a bit of a mixed bag. I get that with a fifty year old rig, a lot of the connectors may have been changed but that doesn't explain the differences on the wire colors.

Anyone have any experience using the positive earth with alternator conversion from our hosts? if so, can you please comment on how, if at all, you have found the wire colors match up to the official colors in the diagrams?

There's not a lot to the wiring colors. Browns are always hot. Greens are lighting. Whites are switched. Red instrument lights. Purple interior lights.

There's not a lot to the wiring colors. Browns are always hot. Greens are lighting. Whites are switched. Red instrument lights. Purple interior lights.
    http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Lucaswirecode.htm

Yeah what she said