Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Series 3 dist. install question.

Default New Series 3 dist. install question.

Hello,

I installed the series 3 dist. from our host the other night.

I have it very close to right but the old girl is a little weak on acceleration. The timing marks are( 6|||||6) on the harmonic.

Would anybody tell me your exact procedure for timing this machine so I can get it back to exactly right? I am having trouble getting it just right. I have not been able to get it so far. I am guessing it is a 7.1 not the 8.1 engine from what I have read.

It is a right hand drive and a 73 so I think I am right here in regards to the timing. I set the points at .014 then up to .016 and it seemed to get better. The idle is at 800 the weber carb was perfect before I swapped the dist. I have the dist adjusted maxed out at clockwise on the hold down bolt and it seemed best there so far.

No pinging at road speed.

But I am missing something and really need help. I may have gotten a step in the sequence wrong or something.

Thanks for any input you have,

I have found that setting the timing according to the manual is just a starting point. These old girls (mine's a '71) have their own foibles.

So now you've got a starting point start fine tuning by ear and experimentation. This sounds a little vague, but worked really well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'71 Series IIa "Horace"
    88", RHD, 2.25 petrol.
    New Zealand.

As said, the timing marks are a baseline, and every vehicle has its quirks, especially as the get to be over 40 years old, hmmm, that sounds like some of us!! Engine wear, piston wear, all those pieces add into where the timing should be, get it close, go for a buzz around and try tweaking a little this way and that, see what works, and when you do get to where it is at that "sweet spot" where it is very happy, use a paint pen and mark the spot so when you have to take it out/service, you end up pretty close to where it should be, even then, it might still need some fine tuning, but should be pretty close. Good luck.

Adjusted dist. with vacuum advance off, then connected it again and continued turning clockwise. I ran out of movement but it sounded very good.

After I opened the points up from .014 to .016 it seemed to get a little better.

We were doing this at 0200 on backroads, timing light and all.

Anything you guys have to add to what I have done?

I am a little perplexed that it is not there yet to be honest.........

It's my understanding that most people don't use the timing light on these as the myriad of variables that influence timing have changed drastically since the procedure in the book was written.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Here is a link to my post in a similar thread: http://forums.roversnorth.com/showth...ht=#post102473

I'm concerned that you are maxing out the distributor's range of motion. You really should be able to spin it enough in either direction to stall out the engine at the extremes. Focus on figuring out what's limiting that. What kind of distributor do you have? It will be a Ducellier or a Lucas. What octane fuel are you running? Really high octane will require more advance.
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
    Here is a link to my post in a similar thread:I'm concerned that you are maxing out the distributor's range of motion. You really should be able to spin it enough in either direction to stall out the engine at the extremes.
    DISCLAIMER: I don't own a distributor, so I don't really know, but I was thinking the same thing--Just wondering if the skew gear is a tooth off.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Usually there is a pinch bolt that when you slacken it off allows you to move the adjuster plate around so you can get a further range of motion.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

'71 Series IIa "Horace"
    88", RHD, 2.25 petrol.
    New Zealand.

You might want to check your plug leads as well, and move them all counter clockwise/clockwise by one spot if you are running out of spin.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
    Here is a link to my post in a similar thread: http://forums.roversnorth.com/showth...ht=#post102473

I'm concerned that you are maxing out the distributor's range of motion. You really should be able to spin it enough in either direction to stall out the engine at the extremes. Focus on figuring out what's limiting that. What kind of distributor do you have? It will be a Ducellier or a Lucas. What octane fuel are you running? Really high octane will require more advance.

89 octane,it had the duceillier, replaced it with a new model from our host.

It does stall if I turn it counter-clockwise, slows it down a LOT.

SOunds like I need to loosen the clamp to allow more clock-wise adjustment. The light is showing the middle or the range while the dist. is maxed out that direction.