Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swivel balls (not a personal problem)

Default Swivel balls (not a personal problem)

Well. Maybe it is.

The next project as I move towards having a reliable truck is the leaking swivel balls. I basically have to replace all the seals. That much is given. What else should I be aware of as I dive into this project?

That said, I now have a driving truck. That is new and I might just drive it a while.

I have had the truck since December and the huge list of things I have fixed and replaced is likely more a function of the lack of maintenance by the previous owner. But here is a short summary:
    • all wheel bearings, brakes, wheel cylinders, shocks
    • head gasket, exhaust manifold, generator, water pump, heater valve, all hoses and belts, battery
    • tires, seat cushions, window tracks, etc
    • added tach, ammeter, voltmeter
    • added spin on oil filter
    • transmission, pressure plate, clutch, slave and master cylinder, hoses
    • rear half shaft

After the swivel balls, I begin to think I might reach an acceptable level of reliability. My TR3 is there. I can trust it, but the Rover...not yet.

Does anyone actually use a Series Rover as a reliable daily driver?
    Last edited by slowmo; 05-04-2015 at 06:42 PM.
    --David

1959 TR3
    1970 Series IIa 88" ("Homer")

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Slomo,
    My series 2a would be a reliable daily driver. But I choose not to as I like music, and I like to hear music, and driving a series truck does not allow me that option, so having said that, and the fact that I work in a city style area, a truck that does not lock up is not a practicle choice as a daily. My V70 is the mobile choice. A/C, radio I can hear, and an alarm. I have been nicked too many times to trust my 2a to protect my stuff when it is out of my sight.
    Just my 2 cents, here, Drive your rig, and enjoy it, it will always need attention, but after the hard work in the tranny drive it and enjoy the Rover,

Quote Originally Posted by slowmo View Post
    • all wheel bearings, brakes, wheel cylinders, shocks
    • head gasket, exhaust manifold, generator, water pump, heater valve, all hoses and belts, battery
    • tires, seat cushions, window tracks, etc
    • added tach, ammeter, voltmeter
    • transmission, pressure plate, clutch, slave and master cylinder, hoses
    • rear half shaft

Wow! Nice. With regard to the swivel ball seals, TerriAnn has a pretty easy approach that won't require you to dismantle the whole thing: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRhubseal.htm

One thing to check: Turn your steering wheel all the way to the right. Get out and check the front right and back left of the ball's surface for rust-caused pitting. Then turn the steering wheel to the left and check the opposite sides on each ball. Pitting causes the seals to degrade and leak by abrading the rubber seal - so new seals would be a bandaid vs a permanent solution if you have pitting.

No pitting + new seals = no leaking (in theory).
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

I hope I can dissuade you from splitting the seal. Taking apart the swivel is a rite of passage and the zen of it is not to be missed.
    It is very easy. You just need to have your bucket of diesel handy to toss parts in as you go. Only thing about it that kinda sucks is getting the old distance pieces off.
    My technique for that is to drill thru the flat edge with a 3/16. Then take a cold chisel and whack the thing right where the hole is. That will deform/expand it enough for it to slide off the stub axle. The rest is just nuts and bolts.

In response to your last question (plea) - yes, I and multiple others here do use their truck as a daily driver. Not without a few issues now and then (I have the bus as backup but rarely need it). But first I invested in a SIII with mostly updated parts, replaced a list of others, and try to keep up with the rest. My wife used to ask me when I'd give up and buy a 'real car', but she's stopped that by now. I like having a truck I like to drive and that I can drive it every day. Never fails to get a smile out of me or others, save the ones behind me on the freeway. It helps that, in Alaska, the SIII is actually a mostly reasonable mode of travel.
    77 88" SIII County SW
    82 Jp CJ8

At times I used both my 65 109 SW and my 69 109 P-up as my daily driver. They worked great, the only time one of them left me hanging was when something got sucked through the gas line on the SW. I even drove the P-up from LA to SD at night with no alternator as the parking lights were bright enough on the SoCal freeways.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Been driving a series daily for 18 years. Currently a 49. Its not as dramatic as you make it sound. Leak free swivels will not make your car reliable. Here are some helpful pointers

-use genuine parts
    -if your swivels are pitted they will wear the seal out quickly or simply not seal
    -put sealant in the groove in the swivel housing into which the swivel seal fits to prevent oil from weeping around the outside of the seal
    -put thick grease (like sig 3000) in the swivel seal lip
    -use your favorite thread sealant on all bolts that pass through the swivel housing (seal retainer bolts, swivel pin/bearing bolts etc)
    -replace copper crush washer on the swivel pin drain
    -use a smear of sealant on swivel pin bearing cap
    -adjust your steering stops so that the waist of the swivel ball does not deform the seal lip at full lock

I understand why Terri, recomends splitting the seal. I get it. But why is that not a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by cedryck View Post
    I understand why Terri, recomends splitting the seal. I get it. But why is that not a good idea?

Bluntly, it is a half ass repair.

I am with Bill and the rest, do it right the first time.......it's not horrible, just messy.

I drive my series for weeks at a time without driving my true "daily". I would have no issue getting in and driving it across the country.......it took some work to get it to where I felt comfortable doing that, but you will get there. If you have not gotten to put many miles on it since your most recent repairs, let it leak for a while and enjoy the truck. As Ike said, they are not mission critical.
    1969 IIA - Tan
    1969 IIA - Blue

Thanks for all the tips. I am a do it once, do it right, kind of shade tree mechanic and I like to know my car(truck). I will do the complete tear down so I can see how it all fits together. That way if out in the boonies and something goes wrong I'll have an idea what to do. Then I may do the Terri quick fix method in later iterations or for quick/emergency repairs.
    --David

1959 TR3
    1970 Series IIa 88" ("Homer")

My hovercraft is full of eels.