Thread: Help..'84 D110 2.5 NA Pick-up won't go into High Range!

Default Help..'84 D110 2.5 NA Pick-up won't go into High Range!

Had my trusty truck for over a year now and practically a daily driver. Last week I was heading home and the transfer case knob popped out of High Range upon leaving a Stop Sign in 1st gear...couldn't get it back in for the life of me. I pushed it up into Low Range and trudged home. Called my local Land Rover shop - Palita's (not a dealer, and only 20 min away in West Chester, PA), they recommended rolling at 5 mph and trying to engage the knob into High (low and right for my truck..my transmission is an LT77 5 spd). I tried 3 different times with no luck (truck was not in gear, clutch pedal undepressed..should it have been?). Not ready to tear everything down and investigate.
    Please shoot me some advice Landy Fans!
    Thanks,
    Brad

302-377-4479
    them_beans@yahoo.com
    Wilmington, DE

I always use the clutch from high to low tho no expert.
    Going forward & backwards into low & High if you can get it engaged using the clutch.

Many thanks for your response. I figured things out about a week ago after pulling the access panel under the center seat. I couldn't get enough leverage with the Hi-Lo shifter to get the transfer case base into Hi, but I slowly pried the arm back into the proper position, and thankfully, it hasn't popped out again. In my experience, clutch has no effect on moving the transfer case arm, but you sure have to have the transmission out of gear!
    Thanks again,
    Brad

That is interesting to know if it happens
    I also have a 84 110 PU waiting to be worked on, up on jacks now in shed.

I have had additional problems with selecting High/Low Range in my 110, so I removed the selector housing and cleaned it up (it's stamped FRC6106 on the housing, which was very helpful). There's a shaft with an attached fork that actuates the gearbox, and the shaft had seized. I removed the circlip on one end, tapped out the shaft and buffed out the contact points on the shaft. Lubricated the whole mess (probably wasn't receiving any oil from the top feeder line, so it dried out).

Now I can't get the shifter to go into any gear...clutch pedal goes to the floor. Looks like I'm in for a complete rebuild. No idea what's failed until I pull it all apart..wish that it was June!

Brad in Delaware

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hi Lo selector 1.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	11375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hi Lo selector 2.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	11376