Thread: Gearbox - S mode in Low

Default Gearbox - S mode in Low

I have a 2002 LR Discovery II V8. When the gearbox is switched to 4x4 Low the S is displayed when I press the Mode button. The Low is engaging, but the Mode doesn't think so. I'm assuming it's a sensor issue, but I don't know where the sensor is. Anyone have this problem?

I'm not understanding your problem. If you select Sport Mode (S) in high or low, the trans shift points are at a higher RPM. This is like having a shift kit installed (when in S), but you can go back to standard shifting when you push the button, for on the highway. I never noticed the S Mode being displayed in low range automatically. But then I prefer Sport Mode off road anyway.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Mearstrae. Thanks for the reply. The issue is that when it is in 4x4 Low and Mode is pressed the S should not appear. The M should appear. Sport mode should only show up in High. However, in Low the S is displaying instead of the M.

I finally got around to checking mine, I've never paid much attention to it. It is in M when in low range and S doesn't come on even when selected, opposite of what you have going on. I can only think that a switch is at fault on the transfer case (or a bad earth connection). I couldn't locate any sensor in the system. it's got me curious, I'll have to dig deeper for my own satisfaction.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.c. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S