Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hubs stuck

Default Hubs stuck

I did a little rock crawling this weekend. Actually it was the first time I took the Rover out for such activity. It is a fricken mountain goat. No doubt about that. It easily out climbs my Jeep Wrangler and gearing in low is perfect.

The hubs went from Free to Locked very easily, but now I can't unlock them. It won't be much of a job to pull them, but maybe there is a trick?
    --David

1959 TR3
    1970 Series IIa 88" ("Homer")

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Have you tried to move it since trying to unlock them? Maybe move in reverse a bit or - if you can - rock the truck a bit as you try to do it.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Rolling the truck back/forth helps. Then retry. Also - I reach under and hand rotate the front prop shaft - that moves it enough to allow things to move.
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

It's usually a good idea, if you can, to unlock them before you get back on hard surface, or if you can't do that, get one wheel on an unpaved shoulder.
    Failing the above, make sure it's in 2WD and reverse for a few feet. Or just drive in 2WD for a while.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    It's usually a good idea, if you can, to unlock them before you get back on hard surface, or if you can't do that, get one wheel on an unpaved shoulder.
    Failing the above, make sure it's in 2WD and reverse for a few feet. Or just drive in 2WD for a while.
    Tom:

Slowmo is talking about the freewheel hubs… vs low gear and/or locking into 4x4 by depressing the yellow lever (which I think you're referring to). The freewheel hubs can be driven around on dry pavement locked or unlocked without issue.

With my Warn M11s I find that sometimes one or the other won't turn freely. Moving the truck back/forth a bit - or giving the prop shaft a twist back/forth by hand seems to move the splines enough to let them spin freely and lock/unlock.
    1968 Series IIa

Thanks gents. I'll report the results.
    --David

1959 TR3

Quote Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
    Tom:

Slowmo is talking about the freewheel hubs… vs low gear and/or locking into 4x4 by depressing the yellow lever (which I think you're referring to). The freewheel hubs can be driven around on dry pavement locked or unlocked without issue.
    Yeah, I know, but the Warn hubs are notorious for not being able to be unlocked after some windup in the drive train. Releasing that windup is what allows you to unlock them. Turning the propshaft by hand is one way to do that, but so does backing up, or even just driving for a while in 2WD.
    At least that was my experience when I had them years back. When I sold my '73 in 1978 I never used another pair of Warn. After my experience with them I used Selectro and Dualamatic.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Yeah, I know, but the Warn hubs are notorious for not being able to be unlocked after some windup in the drive train. Releasing that windup is what allows you to unlock them. Turning the propshaft by hand is one way to do that, but so does backing up, or even just driving for a while in 2WD.
    At least that was my experience when I had them years back. When I sold my '73 in 1978 I never used another pair of Warn. After my experience with them I used Selectro and Dualamatic.

Ahh - understood. Sounds like we're all prescribing the same remedy.
    1968 Series IIa

Quote Originally Posted by slowmo View Post
    I did a little rock crawling this weekend. ...
    Post some pics if you get a chance. I did a little New England style rock crawling last weekend, which is very different fron the rocks out West:
    Nice rocky stream crossing:

Need some Rover content, so here's my brother-in-law not quite crawling over some rocks:
    Last edited by jac04; 07-21-2015 at 11:35 AM.

I tried backing up in 2 and 4WD, tried turning the prop shaft, had a beer (thought that might help - did), put in back in 4WD popped the clutch in both directions. Nothing worked so I had to loosen the 6 bolts and then they slipped back into "Free."

I'll do some research since I don't know anything about my hubs other than how they work. I would obviously prefer that I had hubs that can be unlocked without dis-assembly.
    --David

1959 TR3