Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hubs stuck

Quote Originally Posted by slowmo View Post
    I tried backing up in 2 and 4WD, tried turning the prop shaft, had a beer (thought that might help - did), put in back in 4WD popped the clutch in both directions. Nothing worked so I had to loosen the 6 bolts and then they slipped back into "Free."

I'll do some research since I don't know anything about my hubs other than how they work. I would obviously prefer that I had hubs that can be unlocked without dis-assembly.

Check to make sure the cotter pin on the stub axle is tucked in nice and tight within the perimeter of the axle nut. If it is hanging out to far on either end it will interfere with the hub turning in either direction.

I have had that happen on several occasions.

FWIW I keep my hubs locked pretty much 100% of the time. Unlocked hubs will not allow you to have any oil splashed up onto your railco bushing. If you don't like that, at least make sure to ride around with them locked on the weekends.
    1969 IIA - Tan
    1969 IIA - Blue

You might try jacking up one front wheel (with the selector in 2WD) to get all tension out of the front.
    I've never seen Warn hubs give such issues unless they had internal mechanical issues.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF