Thread: tub-side panel seal

Default tub-side panel seal

I am getting ready to install my top onto the tub of my 73 SIII 88". What is the trick to keep the seal in place? I tried doing it dry but it will not stay in place! I'm thinking maybe a two sided tape to help hold it in place until I lower the top onto the tub. Anyone know a good way to do this. I have the top on the tub blocked up with some 2x4's.
    By the way I'm on the final leg of a restoration of my rover which has included a newly rebuilt bulkhead, new frame, new seals everywhere, 100% new brakes, all components removed cleaned, repaired as needed. I'm now working on my least favorite part of this job. That is doing body work. 90% done with that followed by a paint job and the reinstalling all lights ect and she will be ready to put on the road. I did start her up the other day and drive her around the block. Ran pretty good for sitting 3+ years. One other problem is that when I first started the car I had to prime the carb a few times to keep it running (expected this since fuel lines bowl ect were empty) The truck then sat for ~ 2 weeks and I needed to prime the carb again to get it running? Once it started and ran I could turn it off and it would start back up (longest it sat was about 2 hrs).

Are you refering to the seal between the side-panel and the tub, or the seal between the side-panel and the roof?

First off, the seals on the underside of the side-panels are siliconed it (at least I silicone mine in, that's how they stay in place). Then the side-panels are bolted to the tub (do not leave the side panels attached to the roof). The top seals are installed in the side-panels (making sure to silicone up any open gaps). Lastly, the roof goes on. This is the easiest way to do it.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

I wasn't planning on splitting the top from the side panels. Is that necessary? I have placed the top w/ side panels on the tub. With four people it does not look to bad to get in place. I do think that I will take it back off to put the seals in place and then reinstall. I think it will be easier with less chance of messing it up that way.

Sure, you can do it, but I've always had better luck bolting the sides on first. Either way, I think you are going to have to silicone those seals into the sides before you attempt to bolt it down. They just won't stay in unless you do.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Default More woes Tub alignment

Thanks,
    I have started to split the parts. This has opened another can of worms! When I dropped the top onto the tub I noticed an alignment problem. With the back panels on the tub and the front sitting on the windscreen I have a large gap (3/8") at the front Rt side of the side panel. And a small gap on the left side. I need to adjust the tub position, raise the front rt. My plan is to split the top, mount the side panels, and use a string line from the windscreen to the back of the side panels to position the tub vertically. Of course I have the seat base, floor panels, ect all bolted in. I Imagine it would be best to remove or at least loosen these parts befor attempting to adjust the tub. Otherwise I thing all of this will hinder this effort. Does this proceedure make sense?
    Bob