Thread: RRC won't start without 20 cranks

Default RRC won't start without 20 cranks

I have an RRC EFI 3.5 V8 in my FFR 109 and its just started being a bit difficult to start. I have to crack it between 10 and 15 times then it starts to fire and two cranks later - it running as normal. It does this when its cold not when its hot. The manual shows a cold start injector sticking out of the plenum chamber - but mine does not have one fitted. I don't mean its been removed - I mean there is no hole for it in the casting. I've checked the coolant and fuel temp sender units - they seem OK - does anyone have any ideas? How does this vintage of EFI handle cold starts? I was told it came from an 88 RRC.

Dave

There is a temperature sensor that is used to control running until the engine reaches normal operating temperature. It's probably faulty. It is located at the front of the engine near the thermostat housing and has a 2 pin connector - don't confuse it with the temp sensor with a single wire (that's for the temp gauge).

What vintage is the efi system? 14CU or CUX? 99 times out of 100 it will be the ignition amplifier module. Hard to say tho without more info

I don't see how "cracking it" (you mean pump the gas pedal?) would make any difference, other than time spent doing it. It's injection not a carb, there is no accelerator pump to add fuel. Could be any number of things, possibly a weak fuel pump. I could guess all day long and not be right.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109 (V-8)
    '70 Rover 3500S (V-8)