Thread: Transmission oil temp light

Default Transmission oil temp light

a few weeks ago I drove ten miles, was at a job for an hour, and when I returned and turned the truck on the warning light was on. I checked the fluid and drove home with it on the whole way. Since then I have driven it around the neighborhood withoutt the light coming on. Today, I returned to the job. When I returned to the truck the light came on, and went out after a half mile. I made four stops, with the same thing happening. It's 60 degrees here and I changed fluid a year ago. Because the light is predictable after a certain distance I feel it is functioning correctly, has this happened to anyone else?
    Bryan Deel

1967 109 3 Door, 2.6l, RHD
    1972 88 2.25, LHD

I had a buddy who had an intermittent "T" light, it turned out it was the transfer case. It had a bad seal between it and the transmission and the gear oil leaked out, causing it to heat up and finally disintegrate after several days. If it is the transmission light it might (and who would think it?) a bad sensor unit. I wouldn't think the temp sensing light would come on (on start up) after it has been sitting for a period of time and cooling off.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

I hear ya, mearstrae. I didn't know if the oil would continue to heat up after stopping and then when the truck was moving again it would cool it down like an overheating engine. I'll definitely check the transfer case. Thanks
    Bryan Deel

1967 109 3 Door, 2.6l, RHD
    1972 88 2.25, LHD