Thread: Leaf Spring Bushes

Default Leaf Spring Bushes

I'm at the stage where I need to replace the leaf spring bushes on my 88" sIIa within the next few months.

I have 2 questions:
    1. I see on the inter web there are instructions on how to make a bush press tool to remove/insert bushes - is a commercial version available at a reasonable cost somewhere?

2. Does anyone have any recommendations as to whether to replace with an original rubber bush or a polly bush? I've heard nightmares about squeaking polly bushes. I've also seen you can get a polly bush with a built in grease nipple. Then I've also heard that the original rubber gives a better ride... not sure which way to go...

Cheers,
    Warren.

'71 Series IIa "Horace"
    88", RHD, 2.25 petrol.
    New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by warrenperkinson View Post
    1. I see on the inter web there are instructions on how to make a bush press tool to remove/insert bushes - is a commercial version available at a reasonable cost somewhere?
    Depends on your definition of "reasonable": http://www.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog...cka_Tools.html

2. Does anyone have any recommendations as to whether to replace with an original rubber bush or a polly bush?
    There are generally 2 pros/cons on this topic: "Quality rubber bushes, properly installed, are more durable than poly bushes" and "rubber bushes are a real PITA to remove/install."

[EDIT:] Just realized the bushwaka tool in the link above is for other bushings, but I believe they make one for series spring bushes too.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

If you can hear the squeak of poly bushings over your engine, exhaust, body rattles, tires, wind, etc you have better hearing than my retriever.

I just did this in my 109 and I'm very happy with the swap.
    1971 SIIa 88" NAS Dauntles V6
    1974 SIII 109" RHD

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    Depends on your definition of "reasonable": http://www.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog...cka_Tools.html
    Hmmm... thanks for that, but that does push the boundaries of "reasonable" a bit... I was kind of hoping for something less than $100 - otherwise I'll just make my own.

'71 Series IIa "Horace"
    88", RHD, 2.25 petrol.
    New Zealand.

I used a press for my springs and a sawzal/chisel for the frame bush...
    worked like a charm
    1971 SIIa 88" NAS Dauntles V6
    1974 SIII 109" RHD