Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Generator

Default Generator

Fiddlesticks. While powering up my little mountain road, 2nd gear due to a fierce headwind, with a line of cars behind giving me the one finger Series Rover salute, I glanced at my volt-meter (installed this year for just such an occurrence) and low and behold it indicated 10 volts. But that was odd, since I was at max RPM and the only thing I was running was the ineffective heater, it should be been 13-14 volts.

Got home, eventually, and disconnected the generator, jumped the D and F terminals together, started up the truck and measured exactly 0 VDC. Wonderful. My almost 1 year old generator is dead.

I can buy a new one for $143 and get perhaps almost another year out it or I can convert to an alternator. Sheesh. Who has done the alternator conversion and were the results everything you imagined?
    --David

1959 TR3
    1970 Series IIa 88" ("Homer")

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Yeh if generators were so great they would still be in use on every car.

The generator was the first thing I converted on my 65 2A, yes it is all that I expected it to be.

Yep. I noticed it couldn't keep up with the electric fuel pump, lights and heater fan running and I assume it died trying. Bought an alternator in the GM 10si case style.
    --David

1959 TR3
    1970 Series IIa 88" ("Homer")

My hovercraft is full of eels.

slowmo,
    Did you select a mounting bracket yet? I recommend the one from Pangolin. It mounts the alternator up top in the engine for easy access and is solid. Mine is one of the good things I've done to the Bug Eye.
    Rob
    bugeye88

I remember my truck when I first had it, before I started a frame off, it had the generator, it was an ass pain. Always failed, and drained my battery a number of times, and then there was the Prince of Darkness,,,

I'm a fan of the generator. Dialed in well and not overloaded it's extremely capable and reliable.

You need to set your RB106 control box up right. My generator puts out about 14.2 volts at 2500 rpm. Cuts out (in) at 13 volts. Battery stays reliably charged at just over 12.5 volts.

They're basic devices and shouldn't just fail.

All that bring said - if I drove my truck every day and at night (headlights) and had a few accessories... It would make it harder to justify keeping as it can't handle much over what was factory delivered with the truck.
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Keep your genny and use it as a compressor motor to run your air conditioning

I used a alternator on my 109. Just had to replace it with a ACDelco 335-1003 Professional Alternator

also i bought a ACDelco PT1742 GM Original Equipment Multi-Purpose Pigtail

josh
    1967 Land Rover 109
    1966 Land Rover 109

Joshua Tyler

There has been a lot written on this subject on this and other sites. Terriann has some excellent wiring diagrams and discussion on her site, give it a look.
    Cheers
    Rob
    Bugeye88