Thread: 2.5td

Default 2.5td

So Iv'e been stalking several defender forums and reading many horror stories of issues w/ the early 2.5TD engines. Of specific interest is the issue of oil blowing into the air filter via the valve cover breather hose that connects to the air filter housing inlet. I read a couple of posts that suggested relocating the breather hose from the air filter housing inlet to the air filter housing outlet hose going to the turbo as a fix. Has anyone heard of or done this? Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by parrie View Post
    So Iv'e been stalking several defender forums and reading many horror stories of issues w/ the early 2.5TD engines. Of specific interest is the issue of oil blowing into the air filter via the valve cover breather hose that connects to the air filter housing inlet. I read a couple of posts that suggested relocating the breather hose from the air filter housing inlet to the air filter housing outlet hose going to the turbo as a fix. Has anyone heard of or done this? Any thoughts?
    Hello,
    these engines are known to be unreliable. My advice; if you have one drive it, enjoy it but don't spend big bucks on the engine.
    if the engine is bad you better swap it with a 200tdi (out of a discovery) or put a 2.5na in it (reliable, easy to work on, but low on power)

i know maybe not the answer you were looking for