Thread: Install a fuel filter on a 2000 disco II?

Default Install a fuel filter on a 2000 disco II?

Just curious if anyone has done it or thought about doing it? If so has it had positive effects?

It should be done periodically, I think the maint. chart says every two years. You probably won't notice any great improvement, but it's still a good idea to change it. I've seen LR's with 150k on the clock that still have the factory installed filter, not the best way of doing things. Used LR's are famous for lack of any maint., hence the new owners spend a fortune righting these wrongs.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Sorry for the vague post, to my knowledge the 2000 discovery doesn't have a fuel filter except the one inside the tank. I am wanting to get an external aftermarket or fabricated one installed on my "new to me" disco. Sorry if this is a stupid question I am not the most experienced with rovers or most vehicles in general.

Sorry, I didn't realize that the 2000's didn't have an external filter. On my '99 (It must be an early one) it's behind the right side rear wheel, clamped on the frame. I don't see why you couldn't cut the line and install one in some convenient location along the fuel line. It would be safest to install where two steel lines are connected by a rubber hose, cut the rubber hose in the center (half way between the steel lines) and install and clamp on the filter. A '99 Disco I filter kit would keep it pretty standard for the next filter change.

'99 Discovery II
    '96 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '70 Rover 3500S

Sounds like a plan, appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by mearstrae View Post
    Sorry, I didn't realize that the 2000's didn't have an external filter. On my '99 (It must be an early one) it's behind the right side rear wheel, clamped on the frame. I don't see why you couldn't cut the line and install one in some convenient location along the fuel line. It would be safest to install where two steel lines are connected by a rubber hose, cut the rubber hose in the center (half way between the steel lines) and install and clamp on the filter. A '99 Disco I filter kit would keep it pretty standard for the next filter change.

'99 Discovery II
    '96 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '70 Rover 3500S
    Sounds more like a D1... D2s didn't have external filters

No real reason to add one, and it will add one more potential problem point. But to each their own!
    Zack Griswold
    Photos/Sales
    http://i.imgur.com/z2wLIw6.jpg - 1995 300Tdi Disco 5 Speed

Zack, I now realize that someone added the filter in the stock DI location sometime in the past. So, yes it's possible. I think that rather than causing problems, the finer filtration of an external filter, may prevent fuel injector trouble. Even with the external filter DI's and my Range Rover had to have their injectors cleaned occasionally. As you say, "To each their own." Thinking back to my old Renaults, they had neither fuel filters of any kind, or exhaust valve seals. Best practice? Or cost savings?

'99 Discovery II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '70 Rover 3500S