Thread: Ignition Switch Question

Default Ignition Switch Question

My vehicle is a '71 SWB, neg ground, 2 1/4 petrol. When I crank the engine to start it, It will ONLY START when I RELEASE THE KEY. Makes it hard to know when the engine is "ready" to start. It's probably a mis-wiring of the ignition switch, but a picture or drawing of what goes where would be very helpful. The schematics don't help. HELP!

My truck is the same. It was odd at first, but as time went by it was still odd.
    --David

1959 TR3
    1970 Series IIa 88" ("Homer")

My hovercraft is full of eels.

They must both had the same drunk installer at Solihull.

Name:  Ign Switch.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  51.4 KB

While rewiring for 4 way flashers yesterday I had a chance to check out the ignition switch. Mine is also a '71 IIA 88. If you look closely at the back of your ignition switch you'll see that the terminals are labeled 1 through 4. Position #1, the double terminal at the top in this photo is 12v in. #2, as you turn the key clockwise, is ignition on, +12v to your coil. #3, the single terminal at the bottom is the momentary switched position, +12v to your starter solenoid. Position #4, the double terminal, turning the key counterclockwise from the off position, is the auxiliary power position. At one point I did manage to get the ignition switch wired like yours. A few minutes with the Ohm meter sorted things out.

Thanks! I will see if I can sort this out since I now have SOME idea of what's going on!

Another issue that does not involve the ignition switch is the state of charge of the battery and the integrity of the connections to the starter. The starter is the largest load while you are attempting to start and little current remains for the strength of the spark. When the load stops to the starter, the full amount of the battery provides a much stronger spark. The engine is still turning and the generous spark starts the car. It could be a low battery or questionable connections.