Thread: Rear door positioning on former pickup / building a 3-door

Default Rear door positioning on former pickup / building a 3-door

Any tips on where to exactly locate the hinges on the body panels for a rear door?

My Series IIa started life as a pickup. I don't have have the roof and side panels finished yet and since spring is here might just leave the top off until winter. But in the mean time I am building speaker boxes that will cover the spot where the middle hinge will go (I am adding a third hinge and Defender door). So I need to at least drill the holes and test fit everything before bolting the speaker boxes in place to ensure that the box won't interfere with the hinge. I test fitted the speaker box and it looks like my first design will indeed interfere but that will depend on the hinge...

So is it possible to line the door up without the top? I.e.- by positioning it a quarter inch off the bed at the bottom? The door does not have holes in it for the hinges so it is not as simple / obvious as installing the hinges on the door first and then marking the body and drilling.

I would get the top mounted first before drilling any holes. Dollars to donuts it won't fit right unless you do. These aren't known for the best fit and finish and each one is different.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Thanks Jason. Was afraid that was going to be the answer but makes sense.

I have a factory three door 109 and the fit quality is in the "MADE IN CHINA" realm. So, having everything in relative position is important. Having the tree hinges is a good idea, especially if you're going to have the door mounted spare or a tool rack. But speaker boxes? Oh, to amplify the cabin conversations

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Going to do a dynamic noise cancellation system.

j/k. Thought it would be good while camping and the engine NOT running.