Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steering relay column

OK, thanks again Colin. So, yes, I was able to fill with oil a few weeks ago through one of the bolt holes. But when that didn't help loosen the relay I opened the bottom bolt holes and the oil seeped out. I then began squirting PB Spray into the holes in the top and this is when I was able to get the relay column moving with the length of pipe as described below. Each day it's a tiny bit better. I spray the PB in, I work the column, PB spray comes out the bottom, repeat. I'm just going to keep this up, get the column as loose as I can, fill it again with oil, put it all back together and see how the steering wheel feels. If it's still to tight for my tiny wife to move it, then I'll suck it up and get a new relay.

Sounds like a good plan. If there wasn't any oil in it to begin with, things can get a bit nasty/gummy inside. The PB Blaster will certainly help, maybe even WD-40 or kerosene to clean it out/de-gunk it. Keep it up, you're going down the right road. As you've seen from my pictures, there's really nothing inside the relay to fail. Once it gets cleaned out and properly lubed, I see no reason why it won't work like it's essentially new.

Colin

Quick update. After daily "soakings" with WD-40 and PB spray for the past week or so and by working the relay with a length of pipe attached to one of the arms, I think I'm now in good shape. I put it all back together, filled the relay with oil and had my 10 year old turn the steering wheel and he had no trouble doing so. Of course the heavy tires are off, but seems like I'm in good shape here. Thanks for all the good advice everyone.

Glad to hear it worked out for you. It took a while, but at least it was basically a free repair. Those are always nice.

Colin