Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you guys give suggestions on cars for sale ?

Default Do you guys give suggestions on cars for sale ?

So I'm looking at buying my first Landy and was wondering if this forum comments on cars for sale. I have been watching this one for a bit http://www.ebay.com/itm/252335071292...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    and was wondering if anyone has seen it in person or could comment. I actually live only 30 minutes from where it is supposed to be but when went there I was told they are selling it on consignment and it actually in FL.
    This one did come up for auction at Mecum but received a $15k bid and didn't sell. The diesel (I really want a diesel) is out of a 86' the owner had it installed because the stock motor he felt was underpowered.
    Any thoughts would be nice and if I'm not supposed to make these kind of posts here I'm sorry

First off, they don't say anything about the vehicle being in Florida. When they are in Illinois and everything in their ad leads you to believe that, I think it's shady. There is zero information about the vehicle that I could find, only pictures. What's up with that? Also, they describe it as a 1986 Mercedes G230. I realize it is a typo, but with all the other lack of info it screams to me "RUN AWAY". I see nothing but problems with this dealer. Also, I think you could do a lot better for the asking price. The dash is atrocious, most of the galvanized trim is painted, there is no mention of rust, and the fact the vehicle is in Florida makes it a bit difficult for you to do an inspection on it.

Just curious, why do you really want a diesel?

If you were going to go to Florida for that one, I'd consider this one. It's been listed for a while now so you may be able to get a better deal. It's a Santana, but that's not a terrible thing. It looks to be in darn good shape. Diesel, too.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5450745256.html

Colin

Thanks for answering , the main reason for the diesel is because I'm a "diesel guy" my daily driver is a grand Cherokee 3.0 diesel as well as my past 2 trucks.
    The comments about painting parts that should not be is huge, again this is all new to me. Unless I can see this one I'll pass. I did like that it has the new turbo 2.5 not s rocket by any means but must be better than non turbo.

"Applicable fees are: (1) EVERY transaction requires a $332 dealer prep fee...'

So they flew down to Florida from Illinois to prep this vehicle?
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

I'm liking that Tdi! Looks like a pretty solid rig.....

Probably didn't have the right buyers at a Mecum auction. Muscle Car guys.

An awful lot of pop rivets though.
    '65 Series IIA, 88'
    '00 Discovery II
    '08 Jaguar xj8
    '95 RRC LWB, deceased.....
    '75 Forward Control GS, 72 FL 64, gone to CA!

Don't buy a Land Rover off of eBay. That truck has a number of pop rivets going into the rear passenger quarter. Looks like somebody hacked in a new rear quarter panel. You can't see the chassis - not that any pictures will every show you real issues on eBay. Diamond plating is always a warning. You can't see half of the truck from these pictures. These trucks hide major expenses and problems really well.

Watch this video. Then watch this one. The poor owner of that truck paid $20,000 on eBay for it and it looked way nicer than this truck.

Some advice that is truly meant to help you - find a local truck for sale, that you can see in person and find someone that knows these trucks that can help you look at it. Otherwise you're more than likely going to be disappointed.

{Edit} JZ - where are you located? Someone on these forums could help you if you're nearby. They're great trucks and I'm NOT trying to scare you off - to the contrary, I'm hoping you get one you can enjoy!
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

They also claim they give every vehicle a detailed inspection. Ask them for a written inspection report. I can't tell you what the vehicle is worth, only you can determine that. However, I know that's not enough truck for $25K to me.
    Piece of advice....NEVER buy a vehicle sight unseen from ebay or any other place.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Quote Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
    Watch this video. Then watch this one. The poor owner of that truck paid $20,000 on eBay for it and it looked way nicer than this truck.
    I remember seeing that truck on eBay. I remember thinking it looked pretty good (except the paint - not working on a Series). Then I came across those videos a few months later and couldn't help but think, "Damn, that sucks!!".

Colin

Thanks for all the great tips. I think I will stay away from dealers like others stated they are mainly flippers and don't know much about the cars. This is not my first rodeo with old cars just Land Rovers so the thanks for all the help.
    I live in Illinois just west of Chicago so if anyone is in my area with experience I'd love to have someone show me the in's and out's

Quote Originally Posted by jzsquared View Post
    Thanks for all the great tips. I think I will stay away from dealers like others stated they are mainly flippers and don't know much about the cars. This is not my first rodeo with old cars just Land Rovers so the thanks for all the help.
    I live in Illinois just west of Chicago so if anyone is in my area with experience I'd love to have someone show me the in's and out's
    Just my two cents, but you really need to see the truck. I would never buy something unseen unless I could see pictures that are very complete. Rust is always an issue on a 30 40 year old English truck. Please look at trucks in your area so that you can be familiar to the difficult areas of these great old trucks, and then when you find (and you will) something that fits your budget, and desire to wrench, you can pull the trigger knowing you won't get screwed by someone trying to make a quick buck.
    cheers.