Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing from a Rochester B to a Weber 34 ICH

A couple of posts over on Landrovernet.com have me thinking the Weber is likely the root of my dissatisfaction. This one from Adama on 1-23-16:
    "I have fuel pressure issues with my webber too, i still have a manual pump, but it over pressures and fills the webber. The old manual pumps make most pressure at low engine speed counter intuitive i know, but its the rule for all diaphragm pumps. Have messed with it a few times, but shes inclined to flood on start up. Not so bad in the cold when you need some choke effect, but can be a pig in the summer with a warm engine." http://forum.landrovernet.com/showth...p-on-my-series

And this from the same poster on that topic 2-8-16 after he installed an electric fuel pump and pressure regulator (which I don't want to do):
    "Yes I have to second the starting improvement too, starting her today after she sat for a few days was damn near instant, had a 2 hour job at a customers, coming out she started right up again. Have never had her start so well since i had a good zenith carb, the webber had always been some what of a let down, both economy and performance wise. Starting use to be a big smelly fuel rich cloud, that's totally gone!"

In fairness to the Weber, there's lots of information on various forums about how great the change from a stock carb to the Weber has been too... so who knows. Just something I'm interested in trying.

off shore,

Last post on this for me. Just saying, A Weber 34 is the best running carb I have ever used on a 2.5 petrol Landy. ,INCLUDING SOLEX, Rochester, Zenith and others. Fuel pressure to these is no different than any of the others, proper jetting and adjustment is the issue and will occur with all carbs. I run a standard fuel pump with an in line low pressure pump that can be turned on and off from the dash and it works great in all conditions. Don't blame the Carb for improper set up. Many of the symptoms mentioned in this thread can be traced to issues other than the carb, but can also be related to improper jetting, clogged jets, bad timing, valve adjustments on and and on, but it is certainly not due to e Weber 34.

Rob
    bugeye88

Thanks, Rob. I'm a long-term 2 stroke dirt bike rider and completely understand the impact and potential of proper jetting. I may very well return to the Weber and go through a proper jetting process to get it to perform better. The valve adjustment and timing on my Land Rover can't really be improved upon much at this point so jetting or possibly the distributor itself are more likely opportunities for improvement. My bias is simply toward originality and so I'm going to try the rebuilt Solex to see if it improves the situation. If not, I'll keep experimenting. This is a lot of the fun of this hobby for me. I appreciate your well-reasoned support of the more modern Weber.

Offshore
    The Webber is really not very "modern" rather it offers good intake velocity for torque and good fuel supply for some top end. Something the Solex lacked. The Rochester provides goo top end but sacrifices low end torque. The Solex lacks at each, in my opinion.

Rob
    Bugeye88