Thread: Tricks for keeping mirrors from moving?

Default Tricks for keeping mirrors from moving?

I cannot for the life of me keep my mirrors from moving out of position when driving. Tried electrical tape on the mirror post. Rubber strip under the clamp. Any ideas?
    Name:  Mirror.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  72.5 KB

If you're talking about the mirrors themselves, NOT the arms, then I feel your pain. Those mirrors stink. I've got 2 on my 109. They're absolute garbage.

I finally got my mirrors to stop rotating around the arm by getting a strip of sandpaper, folding it so that the smooth side was back-to-back and the rough side faced out on both sides, then rolled it around the mirror arm and clamped the mirror down on that.

Even then, the swivel built onto the back of the mirror doesn't have enough travel to be at the perfect angle for me to see back there, no matter which notch the arm is set to (the arm on those SIII mirrors have spring loaded detents, allowing you to rotate the arm to a variety of different angles).
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

If nothing else has worked, find the right spot for the mirrors and glue the clamps.

Colin

I set both mirrors and used 5 minute epoxy to permanently fix them

Quote Originally Posted by keneiler View Post
    I set both mirrors and used 5 minute epoxy to permanently fix them
    Boy, you don't fool around, do you?
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Thanks for the advice. I guess I just need to keep looking forward and never back up!

If your mirrors are moving around, I guess that means the truck is moving around as well. That's great for starters.

I have used aluminum foil in such cases, though not this one exactly. You have to wrap the layers carefully to minimize wrinkles on the offending reduced diameter object. Then insert it by prying open the clamp with a screw driver or something. Insert the mirror stem, tighten the clamp as see if there were enough layers. It is a trial and error job, but generally works out okay.
    --David

1959 TR3
    1970 Series IIa 88" ("Homer")

My hovercraft is full of eels.