Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Series 2A Santana ??

Quote Originally Posted by slowmo View Post
    These are old trucks based on an even older technology...they will break...often.
    Yep. No matter what you pay. Own and maintain - love it, embrace it.
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
    It depends on what's going to make you happy and living with a decision you won't regret. Only you can know/answer that.

Santana: Would you be totally satisfied with it for what it is and enjoy driving it? - OR - would you feel like you have to explain/qualify "it's a Santana" all the time? - OR - would you always think in the back of your mind it's a Santana and wish it was a traditional Land Rover?

Land Rover: Do you have the Skills? Patience? to restore it? What will it cost? Can you afford that and the necessary time? Or, would it be parked all the time because you can't keep it running, or are out of money?

Personally, I'd get the Land Rover 10 out of 10 times. Having the satisfaction of maintaining/restoring the truck yourself is part of the experience in my opinion. I get almost as much enjoyment working on the truck as I do driving it.

Look at it this way - you buy the right truck, it's yours for a lifetime to enjoy. You buy the wrong one and it will be a short affair and a disappointment. Take your time.

For the money you're talking about - this truck is now on Craig's list for $19K OBO. Gotta be better than the ones you're looking at.

Yes, I have been speaking to the seller of this one...it's a strong contender for me.
    When I was younger, I never (or rarely) allowed anyone to work on my vehicles. As newer cars became more complicated (electronics, computers, injection), I have been leasing and getting a new one every 3 years.
    This is one of the reasons that I'd like to get back to a basics vehicle that I can work on from time to time. Don't get me wrong, I would rather be driving this thing to the beach than wrenching.
    I don't care much about the Santana explanation - up until a short while ago when I joined this wonderful site, I would have never known the difference myself. I think the story may be fun to tell.
    My biggest concern is not being able to get parts or find someone that knows what they are doing in the event I can't fix it. I haven't looked into it that deep yet.
    http://youtu.be/pPWN7m-c11Q
    This is the Santana...take a peek. It's very far away from me, so it's not likely going to happen without a lot of effort.

Quote Originally Posted by slowmo View Post
    I also think it is a huge mistake to believe that if you bought a perfectly restored one that it will be like new and require nothing. These are old trucks based on an even older technology...they will break...often.
    This.

My current LR had a frame off resto done by Land Rover Center in the UK roughly 7 or 8 years ago. To look at it, you'd think it was perfect (ish). Seriously, it's on of the best sorted LR's I've come across. That said, there's always something to fix/do/replace. But I love it for those reasons.
    I didn't want to go through a resto or drive a project. But I DID want something that could give me some quality "tinker" time.

I tell friends it's like a boat that way. You can always find something that needs doing.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sailor View Post
    This.

My current LR had a frame off resto done by Land Rover Center in the UK roughly 7 or 8 years ago. To look at it, you'd think it was perfect (ish). Seriously, it's on of the best sorted LR's I've come across. That said, there's always something to fix/do/replace. But I love it for those reasons.
    I didn't want to go through a resto or drive a project. But I DID want something that could give me some quality "tinker" time.

I tell friends it's like a boat that way. You can always find something that needs doing.
    I completely understand. For the last 30 yrs I have lived in apartments and have leased cars that never required me to do any work. I just purchased a summer property that requires hands on work so it's only natural that I get a second car that requires work

I've seen that video somewhere before. I remember the driving part at the end. Damn good looking Rover. It appears to be in great shape, and it's not a Series III, which is awesome. The metal dashes are the ones to have. I have to say, if that's your first Land Rover, you could be doing much, much worse. Great color, too.

Colin

Frankly, unless you have a contact in Spain or some South American country where there is a possibility of getting parts from a dealership, I would stay away. There is a very real possibility that you could be broken down for MONTHS waiting for some part to come from somewhere in Spain. At least with Rovers there is a fairly good parts supply here in the USA even if it is an older one.
    Santanas certainly aren't bad vehicles, but it would be like buying a SEAT Ibiza from 1985 and bringing it here to the USA and thinking it won't be a problem to maintain.
    It is NOT A LAND ROVER even tho it looks like one a lot.

People's Republick of Cambridge & Malpais CR

The word Santana is less scary to me than the word Restored.

I have a few buddies in Costa Rica who own Santanas, spanish made with square top rear door trucks; both 88 and 109. While certainly not a BL product, they are a very good product; some argue an improvement/refinement of the UK version. I've explored them a bit but have not bought one, yet....

My buddies who own them in CR have found 90% compatability of Santana with UK or CR build series truck parts. Body panels/hardward, brakes, gearboxes, seem to be the most trouble for non compatibility, (however thats second hand info from freinds). But keep in mind thats due to non availability of parts for Santana in CR, In the US parts availability from EU will no doubt be better than CR; but not w/o lead time.

All that said, I would not dismiss the Santana, because its a Santana. I would be much more skeptical of the trucks level of "Restored", who did it, and with what parts. Would highly recommend you hire someone who knows Series trucks to inspect it. If it is well sorted, truly restored, and you can look past the Santana badge, it could be a good find.
    The Toltec Coffee fleet....
    96 FZJ80: 3XL, lifted, and shaved
    94 FZJ 80: our Costa Rican coffee and surf mobile
    70 Series IIA 88: After 18 months of wrenching, its alive and legal to drive!
    70 Series IIA 88: in US on H-1B visa
    56 Series I 86: a whole new type of rover hell....

Quote Originally Posted by REDrum View Post
    The word Santana is less scary to me than the word Restored.

I have a few buddies in Costa Rica who own Santanas, spanish made with square top rear door trucks; both 88 and 109. While certainly not a BL product, they are a very good product; some argue an improvement/refinement of the UK version. I've explored them a bit but have not bought one, yet....

My buddies who own them in CR have found 90% compatability of Santana with UK or CR build series truck parts. Body panels/hardward, brakes, gearboxes, seem to be the most trouble for non compatibility, (however thats second hand info from freinds). But keep in mind thats due to non availability of parts for Santana in CR, In the US parts availability from EU will no doubt be better than CR; but not w/o lead time.

All that said, I would not dismiss the Santana, because its a Santana. I would be much more skeptical of the trucks level of "Restored", who did it, and with what parts. Would highly recommend you hire someone who knows Series trucks to inspect it. If it is well sorted, truly restored, and you can look past the Santana badge, it could be a good find.
    Thanks - one downside is that it was on eBay and located far away. The second downside is that the seller failed to reply to a few basic questions. I'd be willing to hop on a plane and eyeball it but since there was no reply, I'll take it as a sign. The parts are the 3rd downside...so I'll concentrate on a LR.

There is a 1969 Series IIA 88 for sale on Craiglist in Boston right now .... This is just 4 hours drive from NYC.

I'm thinking this is the one Patrick is speaking of.
    https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/5561513228.html

Colin