Thread: Rivets

Default Rivets

I think this has been done to death, but I am not finding the exact answer I am looking for. I think there have been at least 3 owners of my 64 2a and it's been appropriately "fixed" a variety of times including random things like reflector riveted on which I am removing!!

most rivets on this are the standard close ended rivets that rover used except the gas caps. Those are the open ended rivets on both front and rear tank areas. This was the case on my "69 as well. Is this normal?

also, on the front wing where it goes back to the breakfast and grill, I have open faced rivets there as well. Should they be closed?

Heres as why I am asking: I have two sets of wing- fronts. Ones from a s3 with the lights in them, in addition to the lights in the breakfast for the normal 2a. I also have the normal wings from a bug eye and wanted to put those on and remove the 3 a lights. So in doing that, thought I should ask about rivets! Hopefully that's clear!?!?!

thanks, as always!

pictures help to see what you are talking about. After 60 some years many of these rigs have many changes just to hold them together. Are you a rivet counter? Or do you just want it to work? The area you are talking about may have been spot welds from the factory. Can't tell without pics.
    1960 "bitsa" 88--Ignotus
    1960 109, 200TDI
    rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I believe that some areas that used solid rivets on earlier models, used blind rivets on later models. Just compare the part numbers in the SIII Parts Catalogue to earlier Parts Catalogues. All the rivets are shown/listed.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

also, on the front wing where it goes back to the breakfast and grill, I have open faced rivets there as well. Should they be closed?
    If you are referring to what I think you are referring to, that area was spot welded not riveted.

As to the none penetrating/sealing rivets, they are called "double blind" rivets and can be found at any fastener company including our hosts.

Ask for the exterior rivets...

Here's a Pict.... the one on the upper right is (perhaps) original)... the other three on the left descending down are not.... Name:  rover.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  52.7 KB

I have a 64' IIA and it has only 3 rivets (top, middle, and bottom) and a series of spot-welds in between on each panel. The rivets look very much like the top most rivet in the photo. Using mine as a reference, I would guess the other three rivets were added to supplement the spot welds. Based on the color it almost looks like they might be steel.

Yeh that's been repaired at some point. There were not any rivets there from the factory. The rivet holes were drilled where the spot welds were. You can also see a dimple or two where the welds were. Therefore, whatever you do will be correct. If you want to eliminate the rivets, use 3M Panel Bonding adhesive 08116.