Thread: More Wiper motor issues

Default More Wiper motor issues

Hey folks.

I have run some continuity tests on my wiper switch to see why it might not be functioning. I can only get continuity between tabs 2 and 3. And also between tab 4 and the green box that runs power to the washer pump. Any advice on what posititions should be running power to one another would be very helpful. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4667.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	11744Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4691.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	11745
    1972 Series III Frankenstein

Rover kid's dad here.

We just cannot figure out if the switch is bad or if there is some downstream problem. In his diagram there is power coming in to tab #4 but there is no continuity to any other tab. So when we use a continuity tester, we only find continuity between tabs #2 and #3. Does anyone on this board know what the continuity configuration ought to be in a correctly functioning switch? Alternatively, is there another way to test the switch vs the motor?

Thanks very much.

Jack

I'm not near my Rover and I'm working from a cell phone, so I can't do any research very easily, but my first instinct would be to look for the wiper switch theory of operation on the Internet, and especially on TeriAnn's website. If she doesn't show the switch configuration there, you should be able to at least decipher what wire performs the different functions in the circuit. Google "terra nova wake an Land Rover" for the website.

What MAY be of help to you is knowledge of the way the wiper motor takes power; IIRC, There should be one wire that always hot--the wiper park wire. The other wires should only be powered when the wiper is turned on. There should be a wire going to the washer motor as well. Wire color codes can be found on TeriAnn's site and in the factory Workshop Manual.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    I'm not near my Rover and I'm working from a cell phone, so I can't do any research very easily, but my first instinct would be to look for the wiper switch theory of operation on the Internet, and especially on TeriAnn's website. If she doesn't show the switch configuration there, you should be able to at least decipher what wire performs the different functions in the circuit. Google "terra nova wake an Land Rover" for the website.

What MAY be of help to you is knowledge of the way the wiper motor takes power; IIRC, There should be one wire that always hot--the wiper park wire. The other wires should only be powered when the wiper is turned on. There should be a wire going to the washer motor as well. Wire color codes can be found on TeriAnn's site and in the factory Workshop Manual.

That is a great place to start. Thanks very much. Jack

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    Google "terra nova wake an Land Rover" for the website.
    Ha! No, don't Google that! I'm afraid that I was the victim of cell phone auto-correct; Google "TeriAnn Wakeman Land Rover".

"Terra nova wake an Land Rover"--LOL!
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Is the wiper not functioning at all? Or is it functioning but not at all speed? If it is not functioning at all, check the wiring connector to the motor wiper (white translucent connector) and there should be a ground cable (separated cable) and it is should be connected to the bulkhead. Improper grounding can cause wiper motor not functioning properly. For the Lucas switch: according to your diagram, if no.4 is power, no.4+1 is for "full speed"; no. 4+2 is for "half speed"; and no. 3 is for "park". For wiper washer wiring it's inside the small plastic green box, it gain power from no.4. Sometimes it is not just the wiper motor or the switch, check the fuse connection as well.

SafeAirOne and ernest.irw, thanks for the advice. I will test further tomorrow and see what I can make of it.
    1972 Series III Frankenstein