Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Impending Frame Swap

Default stainless fasteners

Quote Originally Posted by cedryck View Post
    I can only add this to the plethora of good information already given, I concur that a new wiring loom from our gracious hosts can help eliminate some of the typical poor ground, and lights not working, horn not blowing, issues that older rovers with old original wiring present. The actual wiring of the truck was one of the easiest thing I have done on it, my 2 p, cheers.
    Be aware some fittings need to be Grade 8 hardened steel, the yellowy looking stuff with the "8" printed on the bolt head. Stainless is fine for floors and things like that, but make sure to replace hardened fasteners with new hardened ones. Some anti seize paste will help if you ever need to get them apart again. (You'll have that silvery stuff everywhere during the process.)

Clutch and throw out bearing while you have the transmission out? It will never be easier. Stainless steel bleeder screws for clutch and brake wheel cylinders? Stainless flex hoses for the brake lines?

Good luck with your project.

Tom
    Tom
    1969 Series IIA 88"
    I like it because I understand how it works (mostly).

+1 on Grade 8 Tom. I also keep in mind propensity for galling, so rarely use SS in tapped cast, if ever and never in solid Al. Plenty of silver and copper anti-sieze in stock. Near-Future Shawn will thank Past Shawn for that being a regular practice for years now.

Probably will do clutch. I have to do the flywheel anyway (sheared off a couple of teeth a couple of years ago, so starting is sometimes clanky. I have the flywheel, and will re-ring this one as a spare.

I already have stainless flex lines all around.

And as to previous discussions about wiring, my first task when I got the Rover was to graft in a modern (mid-90s Caddy, I think) fuse box, so I can have my higher draw systems on relays, have a main system fuse, and have PLENTY of branch fuses to make circuits more discrete and safer. There are some things I'd like to switch around in that system, but nothing that's going to happen right away.

My next question, though, is does anyone know offhand about how much brake line I'll need for a full re-do on an 88" dual circuit system?