Thread: Fuel tank install

Default Fuel tank install

I'm back after 11 years Roverless!

And I already have questions.

Can anyone describe the process of securing the rear of the fuel tank in my 73 SIII 88"? Or at least what order the hardware and outrigger goes in? (machined bolt, rubber donuts ...)

The rover I just got came with a new fuel tank not yet installed.

And this may sound like a stupid question, but the rear fuel tank outrigger's is supposed to be drilled to attach the tank, right? Mine's not, but that's not really a surprise. Either the outriggers are set up for RHD or someone put them on the wrong side (the driver's side front one on mine is drilled, but not the passenger side where the tank actually goes. But there is no driver's side rear fuel outrigger to use as an example.

I bought this Rover in mid-reconditioning (not so much restoring, as tidying up) so several things are yet undone.

Thanks for any assistance,
    Shawn

odd, i added a second tank on the lh side, the rear out rigger was drilled just as is the rh one.

i'd just put the tank in, mark the rear out rigger and drill.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Scott,
    I should have mentioned, I assume the outriggers are not original, added by the previous owner. I'm guessing that's why they're not already drilled. Though, maybe they come that way.

I could just drill the rear and bolt it up. It's what I'll have to do to the front. But the rear normally has a specific set of attaching hardware. Including this odd bolt (and the other grayed out stuff)

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/pc-...uel-tank-.aspx

I'm by no means working on a true restoration, but I thought there might be some possibility that it made a difference.

If I had looked at my outriggers first, I might have decided to just figure it out myself, but I ordered the attaching kit, so thought I'd check and see how it worked and if, in fact, it did make any difference.

Thanks for the idea though!
    Shawn