Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing oil pressure and water temp gauges

Default Replacing oil pressure and water temp gauges

What are my options for replacing my oil pressure gauge and my water temp gauge from my 61 109? I currently have the dual mechanical smiths gauge, but the capillary tube is broken. A quote from Gauge Guys was $250+ to repair and refurbish. I would like to get an electric water temp gauge from VDO and a mechanical oil pressure gauge from VDO. I thought about just using the dual gauge for oil pressure, and getting a separate water temp gauge. Thanks.
    Doug
    61 Series II 109 SW
    95 RR County LWB
    06 Range Rover
    98 Discovery LE

Quote Originally Posted by DGG View Post
    What are my options for replacing my oil pressure gauge and my water temp gauge from my 61 109? I currently have the dual mechanical smiths gauge, but the capillary tube is broken. A quote from Gauge Guys was $250+ to repair and refurbish. I would like to get an electric water temp gauge from VDO and a mechanical oil pressure gauge from VDO. I thought about just using the dual gauge for oil pressure, and getting a separate water temp gauge. Thanks.
    IF you are a not a pure-ist and rivet counter, than consider replacing a gauge with an aftermarket product, I did this with my oil pressure switch and it works great, just does not have the retro look of a Smiths gauge.

I put a set of Sun-Pro gauges in my SIII; Oil-Water-Voltage-Tach. Work well and very cheap.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Quote Originally Posted by mearstrae View Post
    I put a set of Sun-Pro gauges in my SIII; Oil-Water-Voltage-Tach. Work well and very cheap.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S
    My oil pressure gauge is a Sun Pro, cheap, works well fit nicely on the sensor end and in the dash.

Just buy a new dual gauge from moss motors. $150. I just replaced mine.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by cedryck View Post
    IF you are a not a pure-ist and rivet counter, than consider replacing a gauge with an aftermarket product, I did this with my oil pressure switch and it works great, just does not have the retro look of a Smiths gauge.
    Definately not either. Will my oil pressure hose fit an after market gauge, and where would I get a sender that would fit in the engine block for the water temp gauge?
    Doug
    61 Series II 109 SW
    95 RR County LWB
    06 Range Rover
    98 Discovery LE

Since the truck did not come with either oil or water temp gauges, there's no "purist" or wrongness with using anything you want. The original dash gauge manufacturer was Jaeger. They have been out of business for years, as has Smiths. There is a hearty aftermarket for Smiths and I think maybe even someone bought the trademark and has started making new ones again. Many parts interchange between the two.
    You will need an adapter for the water sensor. I think those are readily available. Personally I'd go with an electric gauge there rather than the bulb type. As for the oil pressure, is your sender tube metal or plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    Since the truck did not come with either oil or water temp gauges, there's no "purist" or wrongness with using anything you want. The original dash gauge manufacturer was Jaeger. They have been out of business for years, as has Smiths. There is a hearty aftermarket for Smiths and I think maybe even someone bought the trademark and has started making new ones again. Many parts interchange between the two.
    You will need an adapter for the water sensor. I think those are readily available. Personally I'd go with an electric gauge there rather than the bulb type. As for the oil pressure, is your sender tube metal or plastic?
    My oil sender tube is metal. I think I'm going to keep the dual gauge and just use the oil pressure part, and then get a separate electric water temp sensor and gauge.
    Doug
    61 Series II 109 SW
    95 RR County LWB
    06 Range Rover
    98 Discovery LE

Quote Originally Posted by DGG View Post
    My oil sender tube is metal. I think I'm going to keep the dual gauge and just use the oil pressure part, and then get a separate electric water temp sensor and gauge.
    My Sun pro oil gauge uses a copper tube, the kit supplied linked up nicely with the sender on top of the oil filter unit, they use little nuts to help flare the tube to make a nice seal. It works just fine, and I like things that work as opposed to things that look good and are period "right" but don't necessarily work well.

This is why I spent months scouring Ebay UK for nice vintage Jaeger oil and water gauges. They have regular illumination fittings on the back, not the perimeter light.