Thread: Timing pointer cover

Question Timing pointer cover

I have a potentially silly question, but rather than risk doing something wrong, I thought I'd throw it out there.

I started up my rover and noticed oil (it looks like my gearbox oil) gushing out from under the vehicle (thankfully being caught by my drip pans). I traced the leak back to the timing pointer cover and noticed it didn't look like it was tightened enough against the housing.

So, my question is - is there a specific torque that the timing pointer bolts need to be tightened to? or just tighten them until they offer resistance? When I looked at the same part on my spare transmission, I didn't see a gasket or anything, so I'm assuming there shouldn't be one. I searched through all my books and didn't see a mention of this (or it ever labeled), so I thought I'd come to the forum and see what ya'll thought. See? silly question!

And because I'm a complete nerd, I've included a picture of the timing pointer cover from my spare series 1 trans.

For reference sake I drive a 1955 series 1 86" with a series 1 transmission and a series 2 2 1/4 petrol engine.

Thanks in advance!

You shouldn't be leaking any oil out of there even if the cover was completely removed.
    You are most likely leaking oil from the rear main on the engine and it is getting thrown outward against this cover by the rotating flywheel.
    If your rear main is leaking this bad it maybe time to pull the engine and replace it hoping the crank area the seal rides on is not messed up!

theres not a gasket because there should not be any oil in there, this is where your clutch components are ,if it is 90w gear oil from the gearbox it will be thick and smelly, if it is crankcase oil it will be the same color and smell as the oil on your dip stick, if it is engine oil it is most likely the rear main crankshaft seal, if it is gear lube first check the gearbox lube level to make sure its not overfull if you remove the level plug on the side of the gearbox and lube runs out (let it ) until it is even with the hole, if nothing runs out you have a bad front seal and possibly worn bearings.....

Actually, there is supposed to be a cork gasket there, but as others have said, there shouldn't be any oil coming from there. As there is, it can only mean one thing; a blown engine rear main seal, or a transmission front seal.
    The cork gasket originally put under that cover was to keep water and dust out.

also you should remove the drain plug in the bottom of the bell housing (which was ment to drain water out after being submerged) to keep the lube whatever it is from accumulating.....