Thread: SOLD: 1996 Land Rover Discovery XD Eco-Challenge

Default SOLD: 1996 Land Rover Discovery XD Eco-Challenge

VIN: SALJY1243TA701027
    Mileage: ~80,000
    Clean Nebraska Title
    AA yellow
    $10K

Rare. Only 35 XDs were built in 1996, 28 of them for the Eco-Challenge competition in British Columbia that year used as support vehicles. After the Eco-Challenge the trucks were sold to Land Rover dealers where they were reportedly used as promotional pieces for special events before being sold. The ‘96 Eco’s did not have Land Rover Special Vehicles (LRSV) badging and had the taller Safety Devices Wilderness roof rack to clear the roof bars.

Due to issues beyond my control, I have become an unintentional flipper of this vehicle, having only recently bought it and not having done any of the work myself. I will honestly share with you what I see and what was shared with me, though I am not in a position to vouch for the previous owner’s (P.O.) claims.

The Good:
    - P.O. stated “all new bushings and suspensions bits”
    - P.O. stated “new +2" springs and shocks” and “new tires” (Goodyear Wrangler 235/85 R16)
    - P.O. stated “new NLA rear window seals” and “new rear door seal”
    - P.O. stated “all new bushings front to back, new TREs, new HD steering components”
    - P.O. stated “new fresh fluids, new water pump, new serpentine belt”
    - P.O. stated “new headliner…D-II cupholders…newer nicer console…new stereo head unit and speakers”
    - P.O. stated “The stereo is a brand new head unit, new front door speakers, and new bass- the rear D pillar speakers are orig.”
    - P.P.O. stated “New Water Pump, Fan Clutch Etc installed”
    - P.P.O. stated “New Master Cyl installed”, and it does look newer
    - Manual seats and no sunroofs
    - Newish vinyl seat skins that present very well, though driver’s seat cushion foam needs replacing
    - New NOS Land Rover rear lamp guards
    - No Dash Lights on (the bulbs are installed)
    - Hella 5000s up front, rack has 1000s which were orig to CT trucks and are NLA (Rack lights are not wired)
    - Runs normal temp and engine is very quiet
    - Good A/C and heat
    - TReK winch mount and CT style brush bar
    - New factory floor mats FR & RR

Also Comes With:
    - Extra wrap-around bull bar
    - Original front skid plate (uninstalled)
    - The original light duty wrap around bull bar
    - Various small parts: Cruise steering wheel switch cluster, ’95 RR analog clock, new fitted rolled windshield shade, seat base cover pieces, dash vent

The Bad:
    - P.O. stated “ZERO rust at all, anywhere” – there is rust on the top of the right A-pillar, rust is beginning to form on the firewall where it seals against the bonnet, and a rusty rear silencer (pictures document these locations)
    - P.O. stated “…new brakes…” – I see no evidence of new brakes installed; the pads look to be ~50% and the discs are lined, but not gouged
    - P.O. expressed: “…mint example…” “…had the entire Disco sanded and paint refreshed” – The paint job is an amateur repaint and issues are documented in the pictures, to include overspray, crude roof panel to roof sides seam sealer, and one sticker on left front fender painted over
    - P.O. stated: “rack finish is excellent, the ladder is very good” – Both brush bars, the winch tray, the roof rack, and rear ladder could stand to be refinished
    - P.O. stated “spent it’s [sic] life in Las Vegas following the event in British Columbia back in 1996”
    CarFax history shows:
    Event Date State of Title Mileage Details
    01/29/1998 Florida 12,950 mi Registration Event/Renewal
    02/05/2015 Florida 79,491 mi Registration Event/Renewal
    07/29/2015 Florida 79,544 mi Registration
    04/07/2016 79,884 mi
    - Needs new driver’s seat cushion foam; left side collapsed
    - Wear on carpet next to front passenger left knee area
    - Rear view mirror dimmer goo spotting on glass
    - Cruise control inop; hoses broken up and (supplied) replacement steering wheel switch needs installed
    - Digital clock does not work; classier (supplied) ’95 RR analog clock can be hard-wired to replace troublesome digital version and snaps into place

PLEASE NOTE: This was a purchase gone bad and this vehicle was not in the condition as advertised when I obtained it from the previous owner. My trust and gullibility will be your gain. I lack the moral flexibility to trick you into a vehicle that is not appropriately represented. My honor is more important than my bottom line. I’m going to take a substantial loss on this failed endeavor, but my conscience will be clear and you will be happy with your very special Land Rover. This is fun, capable, eye-catching rig and one of the rarest Land Rovers in existence in this condition. It deserves to be taken to the next level or to enjoy as is. Please inspect the pictures and ask for clarification. I have owned 9 different Land Rovers since my first ’72 SWB which I saved from an Alaska field in 1995, and I currently operate a ’93 RR LWB.

SHOULD YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CALL ME ON MY CELL PHONE (after 3:00 CDT or leave a message for me to call you back): 402-312-1992; or EMAIL: workmeistr@msn.com (again, I won’t be able to check email until after 3:00 CDT).

Terms and conditions and bidders requirements please read before bidding:
    - I am representing it as accurately as I can based on my knowledge and have tried to give as much information as possible
    - A non-refundable $1000 deposit via PayPal and full payment via bank wire transfer is required within 7 days of auction end
    - I can assist in meeting your arranged transport
    - Vehicle is located in Gretna, Nebraska, ZIP code 68028, Vehicle is 74” tall at top edge of rear of rack
    - Inspections are not a problem and are encouraged
    - Vehicle is being sold ‘as is, where is’ with no warranty expressed or implied
    - I make no representations about the suitability of the information, products, and services contained on this ad for any purpose. All such information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. I hereby disclaim all warranties and conditions with regard to this information, including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, and non-infringement.
    - By bidding on this vehicle you have agreed to my terms and conditions; thanks and happy bidding and good luck!

1997 Eco-Challenge information
    Inspired by the New Zealand-based multi-sport and European endurance races popular since the early 80's, Mark Burnett (Survivor, The Apprentice, The Voice, Shark Tank, Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader, 500 Questions, and the People's Choice Awards) created the Eco-Challenge in 1992. Eco-Challenge, the world’s premiere expedition race, was held each year in a remote region of the world, attracting the best adventure racers from across the globe. The adventure race started on April 25, 1995 in Utah, U.S.A. It was immediately followed by another in New England in the same year. The other expedition races were held in British Columbia, Canada (1996), Queensland, Australia (1997), Morocco (1998), Patagonia, Argentina (1999), Sabah in Malaysian Borneo (2000), New Zealand (2001), and Fiji (2002). Each team of four members must race non-stop for six to twelve days, 24 hours a day, over a rugged 300-mile course using their skills in mountain biking, horseback riding, caving, mountaineering and fixed ropes, river rafting, kayaking, and navigation. The first team to cross the finish line together is the winner. If a team loses a member due to illness, fatigue, injury or a team disagreement, they are disqualified. Starting in 1996, Eco-Challenge was aired on the Discovery Channel and the production enjoyed a significantly expanded budget. The 1996 British Columbia production, broadcast on the Discovery Channel, won an Emmy Award.
    - ’97 Eco Challenge, B.C. 1of3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv5dCyVceFQ
    - ’97 Eco Challenge, B.C. 2of3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QljpqS9GoPE
    - ’97 Eco Challenge, B.C. 3of3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vaCPRksOlM
    - http://www.chickenbustales.com/tales...nada-revisited
    - http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Discov......-a019108968
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	815 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	11936
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29.jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	11943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22.jpg 
Views:	591 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	11942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19.jpg 
Views:	725 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	11941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	620 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	11940Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	603 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	11939Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04.jpg 
Views:	813 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	11938Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	597 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	11937
    Last edited by workmeistr; 10-11-2016 at 08:18 AM.
    Bren Workman
    Gretna, NE

'93 RR LWB

'03 Disco Trek (sold)
    '98 Rover Mini Sportpack (sold)
    '61 88" V8 Coiler (sold)
    '97 Disco XD (sold)
    '80 Rover 3500 S / SD 1 (sold)
    '91 RR SWB GDE #009 (sold)
    '90 RR SWB (sold)
    '65 109 SW (sold)
    '72 88" SW (sold)

Bump. $9K OBO. Would even consider going less, maybe even much less, if you're a younger lurker thinking about buying your first Rover. In this way, some good can come from all of this.
    Bren Workman
    Gretna, NE

'93 RR LWB

'03 Disco Trek (sold)
    '61 88" V8 Coiler (sold)
    '97 Disco XD (sold)
    '90 RR SWB (sold)
    '65 109 SW (sold)
    '72 88" SW (sold)

Bren Workman
    Gretna, NE

'93 RR LWB

'03 Disco Trek (sold)
    '61 88" V8 Coiler (sold)
    '97 Disco XD (sold)
    '90 RR SWB (sold)
    '65 109 SW (sold)
    '72 88" SW (sold)

From Land Rover build sheet:

Vehicle Details

VIN: LJGMM4TA 701027 Reg Number:
    NA VIN: JY1243TA 701027 Distance At Last Claim: 70835 Miles
    Description: DISCOVERY 3.9 EFI AUTO 1996 MY
    Dispatched Date: 20-Jun-1996 CSO Number: 701027
    Sold Date: 27-May-1997 Sold By: R0126 - Dimmitt Land Rover

Seller ID: *****9153
    Type of Sale: Demo Sale
    Paint: Sahara Yellow Trim Color: Bahama Beige

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Warranty Coverage

Policy: Expires: Odometer: Deductible:
    Corrosion Warranty 26-May-2003 999999
    Federal Emission Warranty 26-May-2005 80000
    Paint Warranty 26-May-2000 42000
    Standard Factory Warranty 26-May-2000 42000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Open Field Service Actions
    Code FSA Message
    B194 CUSTOMER RE-IMBURSEMENT FOR B156 - FUEL TANK RECALL
    Claimed Field Service Actions
    Code Actioned By
    B156B 31-May-2006 Land Rover Tampa
    L450 13-Jun-2002 Land Rover Glendale
    L370 26-Jun-2001 Land Rover Glendale
    L030 17-Nov-1999 Dimmitt Land Rover
    L300 17-Nov-1999 Dimmitt Land Rover
    B483 21-May-1998 Land Rover West Ashley
    L015 21-May-1998 Land Rover West Ashley
    B488 24-Apr-1998 Dimmitt Land Rover

Owner/Driver Details
    Warranty Referrals
    Features

Equipment: Automatic Transmission
    Trim Details

Trim: Bahama Beige
    Paint: AA Yellow
    Serial Numbers:

Description: Replacement Date:
    CATS Radio Number Not authorized
    Engine number 50D 18403A
    Ignition Key Code Not authorized
    Aftermarket Fits - (Vehicle)
    Bren Workman
    Gretna, NE

'93 RR LWB

'03 Disco Trek (sold)
    '61 88" V8 Coiler (sold)
    '97 Disco XD (sold)
    '90 RR SWB (sold)
    '65 109 SW (sold)
    '72 88" SW (sold)

Eco is on eBay for another week. Now back to my big ol' plate of schnitz un knepp...
    Bren Workman
    Gretna, NE

'93 RR LWB

'03 Disco Trek (sold)
    '61 88" V8 Coiler (sold)
    '97 Disco XD (sold)
    '90 RR SWB (sold)
    '65 109 SW (sold)
    '72 88" SW (sold)