Thread: Overdrive question

Default Overdrive question

I have a Fairey OD on my Series IIa that sounds like it needs service, but the vehicle did not come with the original rear plate and gear it can be driven without the Fairey. What parts do I actually need to find?

I have heard that a Fairey Overdrive should be very quiet under normal running, and if noisy, could be dangerous to the transmission. Anyone know about this?

"Noise" is relative. It's hard to say what shape your OD is currently in based on your comments. You may want to have someone with experience with OD's listen to it and let you know their thoughts.

I installed a new Fairey 25 years ago - it sounds the same now as it did when new, and whines when engaged. Not a screech, but I certainly know it's there.

I'm sure that our hosts can sell you the plate and gasket (and gear) you would need when removing the OD.
    Last edited by TedW; 08-06-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Here's an O.D. question: I bought some Lucas Stop Leak Real Thick and Slow Oil that helped slow down the leak in my Series 2A Steering box until I can get around to a fix. It helps. Would this 140 wt or whatever Oil help a noisy-ish Overdrive?

I run a 50/50 mix of lucas oil stabilizer and 90wt in my O.D. The oil stabilizer clings, and lubes the gears/quiets the overdrive some, yet is relatively thin. I would avoid a heavy thicker oil though.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.