Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheel & Tire Options for a 73 III --> rookie questions

I had no idea that people would be giving anything away in this arena. But good to know! Is there a buy/sell/give away section of the forum?

I think I have decided which direction I am headed and I think it will buck the system a bit, but I want a particular look and the original look on this truck from a tire perspective leaves something to be desired (IMO). I am gonna keep my 15" rims...get all the rust off and spray them in Limestone. I am now looking at the Firestone Destination M/T's 235/75/15. I really like the tread pattern, it has good reviews, and I prefer not to have such a tall looking tire (like the 85). I know it will buck the look that OEM provided, but my vision remains the truck I pictured on my first post.

Good input Hauser and o2batsea Any other input is welcome...I am still learning.

Quote Originally Posted by ninescorpions View Post
    I had no idea that people would be giving anything away in this arena. But good to know! Is there a buy/sell/give away section of the forum?

I think I have decided which direction I am headed and I think it will buck the system a bit, but I want a particular look and the original look on this truck from a tire perspective leaves something to be desired (IMO). I am gonna keep my 15" rims...get all the rust off and spray them in Limestone. I am now looking at the Firestone Destination M/T's 235/75/15. I really like the tread pattern, it has good reviews, and I prefer not to have such a tall looking tire (like the 85). I know it will buck the look that OEM provided, but my vision remains the truck I pictured on my first post.

Good input Hauser and o2batsea Any other input is welcome...I am still learning.
    I like your thinking...make the truck what you want it to be...there is nothing wrong w/ a 15" rim & tire combo and a lot of guys prefer them. As for buy/sell/trade on the forum...there is a vehicle for sale section but the sale of parts is not aloud as our host is a part retailer. Check out the Guns & Rovers forum, always parts for sale and info. Good luck w/ the truck...keep us posted.

Hey-

Welcome to Series Land Rovers! First of all, where in Virginia are you? I live in Richmond. I have a '73 88" like yours, but in Poppy Red. We keep it in Scottsville, VA. I also have a 1960 88" and it is in Richmond awaiting my time and attention.

Both of mine have 15" rims and have not had any issues with tire choices. Good luck and look forward to seeing your progress!

Phil

Hey Phil,
    I am located in Covington, VA...northwest of Roanoke. Do you drive your 73 often? I just bought a set of Firestone Destination M/T 235/75r15's. They are exactly what I was looking for. I am getting the 15" rims sandblasted and am going to spray them the original Limestone. I tried to wirebrush clean them...but they are simply too rusted even with using power. It took me the most of one afternoon to do the face of one rim. I waved the white flag and will pay for the sandblasting from a local shop. I will post some pictures when done. Right now the Rover is still in the shop getting a new carb, brake work, and clutch work. I hope to have her registered, insured, and on the road by the end of this month.

Can you post of picture of your 73?

Cheers!

Tim
    Consecutive drives without breaking down: 3

I went with this on my spare from amazon, $150

Cooper Discoverer STT Pro All-Terrain Radial Tire - LT215/85R16 115/112Q

the 215 size seems as big as I would want to go- I know others suggest the 235 but the wheel fills out quite nicely with the 215. I will have to replace all of them soon since if you run it too long on pavement with mis-matched sizes you can 'wind up and snap' a half shaft (from reading, not from experience).

.02cents

P.S.
    Please don't paint that truck! Leave her as she is....there are just not enough well loved SIIIs with original patina left....and everyone wants to paint the GALV and make it look 'newish'. It's classy with battle scars and a pock mark here or there. They are campaign scars!