Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New 66 Series IIA Project

Default New 66 Series IIA Project

Story goes as this, it was given to me after plowing snow for 25 years. It is extremely rough, I haven't got a huge amount of money, the idea is to get it functional, safe and good looking and get it onto the road. First things first The frame is garbage everywhere behind the seats and everything in front of the front axles with a few rough spots in between, Don't have money for a new frame and I'm real handy with a welder. I've got it mostly stripped, was planning to leave in the bulkhead and drivetrain and do all the welding and cutting around that. We'll see how it goes. I've got some pictures I'll add later on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1592.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	12025

Name:	IMG_1593.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	12026

Name:	IMG_1594.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	12027
    As promised a few pictures. Going to start chopping at it soon but I need to come up with a game plan first. Need to find the solidest parts of the frame and decide where I can weld and tie into it without blowing through.

Certainly has potential. Take a good look at the front spring horns...looks like someone may have already did some repair, or maybe that's part of the plow rigging? Also take a good look at the rear crossmember, typical problem area. How do the bulkhead & door pillars look? Keep us posted on your progress. Good Luck!

Yeah the rear crossmember has some rot at the bottom on both sides where it meets the frame rails. It's the least of my worries, the entire frame needs work.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmoose View Post
    Yeah the rear crossmember has some rot at the bottom on both sides where it meets the frame rails. It's the least of my worries, the entire frame needs work.
    Check out the Guns and Rovers forum, they have a parts section and occasionally a frame will come up for sale cheap or free. Can also post a "Wanted" thread.

There looks to be roughly 12-15 thousand worth of body and chassis repair there as it sits. The engine and drive train may possibly suck down an equal or greater amount. If you are prepared to spend that, then go ahead by all means. However you will find that the costs for parts involves far more than just clicking a mouse on a web store. You will have to get dialed in to the Series owners network and try to convince a bunch of hoarders to give up their treasures.
    On these vehicles, the chassis tends to rust from the inside outwards. That means by the time you see rust holes in the frame rails, it is probably pretty bad...usually like new chassis bad. A new chassis will run you roughly $4000 plus shipping.
    I am not trying to throw a wet blanket on your excitement and this truck certainly deserves a quality restoration, but it isn't an easy build like a VW beetle or a Mustang where you can get parts easily and fairly cheap. These types of builds can easily stall for weeks and even months while you try to scrounge a critical part.

Congratulations, In my humble opinion, if that frame is that far gone, look for a good used one, they do pop up. And of course you will not spend so much on one as a new one. ($$).
    Take one thing at a time, be diligent and do it right. Have fun,. '

Mr. Moose, I'm in the same boat. Just posted my project as well. See you around on here to compare notes...

Haha, Thanks everybody for the warm welcome. To the wet blanket guy. I'm not going to listen to you for lack of funds, sticking my head in the sand seems like the best option right now.
    When I said handy with a welder I wasn't joking. I haven't got $4000 to blow on a new frame plus shipping what I do have is a mostly rotten frame, a Haynes manual with a bunch of measurements, a welder and a truck full of 3/16" steel. This is not going to be any big restoration this os going to be an adventure. I know some of you guys are cringing at the thought of that. This is purely going to be fix it up, get it to pass a safety and make it look mostly decent so others can enjoy my 66 Rover as much as me.

Then repair what needs to be repaired with the welder, and make it a structurally sound driver to enjoy.