Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 66 Series IIA Project

Quote Originally Posted by mrmoose View Post
    Haha, Thanks everybody for the warm welcome. To the wet blanket guy. I'm not going to listen to you for lack of funds, sticking my head in the sand seems like the best option right now.
    When I said handy with a welder I wasn't joking. I haven't got $4000 to blow on a new frame plus shipping what I do have is a mostly rotten frame, a Haynes manual with a bunch of measurements, a welder and a truck full of 3/16" steel. This is not going to be any big restoration this os going to be an adventure. I know some of you guys are cringing at the thought of that. This is purely going to be fix it up, get it to pass a safety and make it look mostly decent so others can enjoy my 66 Rover as much as me.
    Ha ha yourself! Have been thru this enough times to be able to tell you that the chassis is the least of your issues. Hope it comes together for you. Lets see where you are a year from now! Highly recommend that you get the chassis galvanized once you have completed repairs. It'll be one of those things you'll wish you'd done if you don't!

Started going through the motions. I've got it all apart except for the bulkhead and driveline, the breakfast plate got some repairs and it's ready for paint, the lower door frames are next then it'll be tackling the bulkhead, hopefully by that time I'll be ablke to roll the thing in and start chopping at the frame, I realized a little while ago that maybe the head gasket was blown then all of a sudden it got really bad and all the coolant drained into the crank overnight, did a compression check and have between 120-130 on all except one second from the back which is 80psi. Also what do you think of my paint colour, not quite the same but the paint on there isn't original and it covers up the marine blue that it had before as you can see in some places and inside the vehicle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1622.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	12045

Name:	IMG_1627.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	12046

Name:	IMG_1629.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	12047

Name:	IMG_1632.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	12048

I've gotten busy with other projects but I'm back at the Rover now. It's fully torn apart now and I started into the Bulkhead, new Pillars and feet and now I'm most of the way through getting the new footwells into it.

Some pictures of the bulkhead and frame.
    I'm not quite finished with the bulkhead yet, the frame needs a few more outriggers and it's done. Then I suppose I've got to finally decide on paint and start bolting it back together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2084.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	12229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2066.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	12228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1869.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	12227  

Name:	IMG_1832.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	12226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1830.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	12225  
    1966 Series IIA
    A Little rough around the edges... And everywhere else.

Lookin' good!

Colin

Mr. Moose-

Let your finances, interests and desires guide you. My take on it is that it is your vehicle and you should do with it what you will. Folks have been fixing up cars since the first ones were made and not all of them get or deserve high-dollar restorations. I really like to see all types of builds, but find its so much fun watching a build where someone is getting by on his wits and skills rather than his checkbook. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by mankins View Post
    Mr. Moose-

Let your finances, interests and desires guide you. My take on it is that it is your vehicle and you should do with it what you will. Folks have been fixing up cars since the first ones were made and not all of them get or deserve high-dollar restorations. I really like to see all types of builds, but find its so much fun watching a build where someone is getting by on his wits and skills rather than his checkbook. Enjoy!
    Thank You Mankins, was starting to wonder if I was in the wrong place, this seems to be an old boys club, no new guys allowed and especially nobody that isn't going to do a high dollar restoration. I'm the first to admit I'm new to Rovers and this has been a learning curve already but like everybody says, they
    re really not so hard to work on. I may not be doing this all the right way with original parts but I'm going to save this old girl and fix it up so it can see many more years, I've already saved it from the scrap yard. Once it's complete I will have it going for many many years to come and maybe someday if money allows I'll do it all up to the highest of standards.
    1966 Series IIA

I have a few questions about tires and Leaf springs.
    I need four new tires but can't for the life of me find a good sized tire, I've searched and it seems everyone has different sized tires. I'm running he original ten spline axles and the original 2.25 petrol without Overdrive 16" rims, does anybody know of a good all around size tire that is as close to stock as possible?
    Also I need new leaf springs in the front and shocks all around. Where would you folks go about getting them? The only Rovers place I can find in Canada is 3 brothers but they haven't got leaf springs, originals or parabolics.

I sent a blurb out to my grandfather who knows the two previous owners of the Rover and in return I was sent a picture from 1987 of the man that saved this Rover from a field and got it going before he sold it to the man that gave it to me. It's neat to think that it looks a lot the same even then, same lights and plow harness that it came to me with.

Name:	Rover-Ho+Rick1987.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	12230
    1966 Series IIA

If you don't want to run one of the few 750x16 bias ply tires left out there, 235 85-16 radials are about as close as you'll probably get.

There are a few other considerations as well, but that's the overall gist of it.

Rocky Mountain sells parabolic and they're in Canada: http://parabolicsprings.com/
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Sorry I haven't been around in a goodly long time. I got the frame buttoned up and then needed the garage space for a few other projects and it got pushed off in the shed. I've dragged old Rosie out now though and after a little planning and finding a cracked head and seeing the cost of new swivel balls and just rebuilding in general of both axles I've decided to do a driveline swap. The donor a 1991 Toyota pickup was happy to give up it's 22RE mated to a w56 trans with what I believe is a chain drive transfercase. I was planning to use the rear axle and find a suitable front but if I can find a truck with a front narrow enough I might grab the rear as well to avoid having to put new gears in one. The front is a passenger offset and the rear is a center pumpkin. I've got the motor mounted in Rosie and since it's such a long transmission will have some playing to do with the transfercase shifter, had to pull the fan too and will be using an electric fan in front of the stock Toyota rad. Since I've got the parts I'll be doing a powersteering swap using the Toyota pump and box. Hopefully whatever front axle I find has discs and I plan to do a servo swap too.

I'll throw in a few pictures to keep you guys happy. Started painting the tub and the bulkhead and only need another warm day or two for the final coats and then they can go back on. so far the actual amount into old Rosie is right around $2000 I think maybe a bit more but I bought a bunch of parts planning to use the original motor and driveline and they will go with the motor and axles when they are sold.

Name:	IMG_2166.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	12481
    1966 Series IIA