Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another 66 Series IIA Project

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    VIN tag looks a little funny.
    Seems like the first three digits were over stamped for some reason. A LR Registry check might throw some light on this.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Why would someone want to change the VIN number?

Quote Originally Posted by cedryck View Post
    Why would someone want to change the VIN number?
    No one can know for sure why but I don't believe it is uncommon which is a good case for researching before you buy. Several scenarios I can think of if the original tag was missing...to match the advertised year...88" and 109" have different vin number ranges, there are also different vin number ranges for homeland or export. The tag does look like it has been re-stamped...the depressions appear to be much deeper and more pronounced than I have seen on most. I did a check on LR fact site...I couldn't find an exact match but the range does fall into 1966 88" IIa for export. I've seen vin tags that are very hard to read...perhaps someone just re-stamped so that the numbers were legible.

Thanks for the insight, parrie. Hopefully it's just for legibility. With winter coming, I'm trying to spend some more time in the garage, so hopefully I start making more progress soon. Just revisiting roversnorth right now to order a new clutch master and a new radiator.

Quote Originally Posted by parrie View Post
    Well at least it turned over so it's not stuck.
    Well...I'm finally getting some time to revisit this. It seems stuck. Tried to turn the engine by hand, and it won't budge. I thought I was fine based on the fact that the starter turned over, but maybe I was missing something.