Thread: Toe in question

Default Toe in question

I want to try and do a toe in check on my 1967 IIa. I believe the spec for the LR is 1/8" toe in. My question is at what point along the diameter or the wheel and tire is that measurement made? I'm imagining using two straight edges attached to the sides of the tires and on line with the center of the tire and made parallel to the ground. I would let the straight edges extend forward and measure to see if they were parallel or aiming in or out. If I know where the toe measurement is meant to be taken I can factor in the distance from that point.

Is the 1/8" measured at the centerline of the rim or is it at the forward point of the contact patch on the ground?

I had the LR done my a mechanic but I wasn't present to see the process and just want to check it myself. Some say that a toe our condition could be the cause of my twitchy steering.

Dave

Dave, not sure if this is the exact answer to your question but it's something I posted earlier. Maybe it will help some others.

My quick and dirty solution to align the front tires involves a few pieces of wood and seems to work well for me. I start with a 1 x 6 about 6'long. I place this flat on the ground under the front of the car with one edge touching each front tire. Next step is a 1x2 about 30" long. I hold this vertically on the sidewall of one of the front tires and make a reference mark where it lands on the 1x6. Move to the other side of the vehicle and make a reference mark here as well. Now place the 1x6 in back of the tires and holding the 1x2 against one of the tires slide the 1x6 to align it to the corresponding pencil mark you made. Now go to the other side and compare the first reference mark to where the vertical stick lands now. This show the amount of toe-in or toe-out and adjust tie rods from there till you get the toe-in where you like it.

Doug

I found that if you take it to an alignment shop and tell them it is a 94 Defender (which has the same specifications)they can set your toe.
    Jim

I like that Idea. I had a 94 defender, they would not know the difference. The problem I faced when taking my 2 series to a local alignment shop was they could not get it on the lift, the fuel cells were in the way for the access to the frame. I should have just had them use bottle or floor jacks just to get the wheels off the ground. Cheers lads.

Hi Doug,

This makes sense to me. I'm going to try it.
    Thanks, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by blueseriesii View Post
    Dave, not sure if this is the exact answer to your question but it's something I posted earlier. Maybe it will help some others.

My quick and dirty solution to align the front tires involves a few pieces of wood and seems to work well for me. I start with a 1 x 6 about 6'long. I place this flat on the ground under the front of the car with one edge touching each front tire. Next step is a 1x2 about 30" long. I hold this vertically on the sidewall of one of the front tires and make a reference mark where it lands on the 1x6. Move to the other side of the vehicle and make a reference mark here as well. Now place the 1x6 in back of the tires and holding the 1x2 against one of the tires slide the 1x6 to align it to the corresponding pencil mark you made. Now go to the other side and compare the first reference mark to where the vertical stick lands now. This show the amount of toe-in or toe-out and adjust tie rods from there till you get the toe-in where you like it.

Doug