Thread: Sticky transfer case

Default Sticky transfer case

Hey Guys,

My transfer case lever keeps popping out of 2wd high ( red knob all the way forward, yellow lever in 'up' position.) She is an early 2a, 2.25, 88 inch station wagon. Just got her back going after 30 years dormant. All other operations of gears works fine. She has new 90 weight in but I'm not sure it's splashed around to coat everything well enough. Is there anything I can do to get direct lubrication to possibly remedy this issue? Thank you!

One thing to check is the selector shaft plunger. It's basically a spring with a ball fitting at the end that engages the transfer gear selector's rod when in gear. There is an indent in that selector rod that the plunger ball sinks into to help the rod stay in gear. The spring and plunger are held in place by a brass plug/nut that you can access from under the middle seat box access cover.

See the image below (number 6). Make sure the spring is in good condition and the plunger is engaging properly.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-11-26 at 7.27.06 PM.png
Views: 186
Size:  184.6 KB
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)