Thread: High/Low Range Selector Sensor

Question High/Low Range Selector Sensor

When I picked up my '02 Discovery II it had the common problem of a seized high/low range selector due to never really having been used. I worked it a bit manually, sprayed the selector linkage with WD-40 from underneath and repeated every couple weeks until I got it freed up.

It now engages low range, but the sensor thinks it's still in neutral, so chimes constantly. It doesn't seem like there's any further forward that the selector knob can be pushed forward. It's better than no low range, but I'd like to get that resolved before winter is in full effect and I need it more frequently (to save my eardrums and what's left of my sanity.)

Any tips or tricks for resolving this? (As it's an '02, I am considering swapping in a transfer case with locking center diff, but that'll be much further down the road.)
    rikuwoiku — to travel overland.
    1982 Series III 88" (RHD w/2.8L Daihatsu diesel)
    2002 Discovery II SE

CentreSteer.com — A podcast by, for, and about Land Rover owners. (Panelist & Content Producer)

SeriesParts.com — A master list of parts, part suppliers (our gracious hosts included), and repair shops for Series Land Rovers.

There's a lock-out solenoid on these things, so the correct procedure must be followed. Have it running, put in neutral, shift into low range. I had a panic a few weeks ago over this same problem, I could only shift into neutral on the transfer case, making it ding. I installed the diff lock linkage while I had the trans out for replacement, upon checking things out I found it wouldn't go into low range or diff-lock. I moved on to put in new drive shafts, etc. On starting the car in neutral, I found I could shift both the Hi-Low and the diff lock levers. I don't know if this is your problem, but knowing there's a solenoid connected into this might be of some help.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Yeah, I'll have to start testing some of the electricals under there and see what I can figure out. At least I can get it into low range when needed.
    rikuwoiku — to travel overland.
    1982 Series III 88" (RHD w/2.8L Daihatsu diesel)
    2002 Discovery II SE

CentreSteer.com — A podcast by, for, and about Land Rover owners. (Panelist & Content Producer)

SeriesParts.com — A master list of parts, part suppliers (our gracious hosts included), and repair shops for Series Land Rovers.