Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tubless tires on Series rims

hi

really liked rt's, they lasted a long time and never had any punctures or other problems. off road and on a great combination tire. There were a few occasions where I couldn't get through the mud that the guys with MT's could. I don't drive the truck daily anymore so I bought the mud rover thinking it would be a little better in the mud than the RT.

I bought them and the same day the brakes went out which prompted me to take the truck off the road and perform some long overdue maintenance. IOW the mud rovers have not seen any use yet other than driving back from the tire shop.

rgrds
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by PH4
    DAVEB, how did you like the Rover R/Ts? How do like them compared to the Mud Rovers?
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

I had always heard that tubeless tires are built differently and the tires themselves can rub through tubes if you use tubes with tubeless tires. I know that the stunt guys I work with put tubes into tubeless tires but that is so they can pump the tires way up to make it easier to skid the cars. This way they also don't lose control immediately if they happen to lose the bead.

Of course what they are doing is very short term.

Brent

heard that too. never had one happen though.

Quote Originally Posted by badvibes
    Another one here running tubeless tires, BFGs, on 16" rims with no problems. They are the welded rims. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought tubeless tyres were better for being less dramatic when a flat occurs. That a blow-out with a tubed tire may be more difficult to maintain control at speed. Just something to think about.

Jeff
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

i have bfg at on my series 3 rims, going on ten years with no issues. i also recently put michelin xcls on a set of d90 rims after 3 months i have not noticed any problems.
    my .02
    1973 Series III 88. "PHYDXO"

I've always run tubes inside tubeless tyres with no probs. They are a great advantage (even with welded rims) if you need to go low pressure in sand.