Thread: 2A Voltage Regulator adjustment help

Default 2A Voltage Regulator adjustment help

Hello

I've been working on my stock 2A (Pos Earth) over the past few months and I just finished all the work. The first time I fired it up my new genny was not charging , or at least the Amp gauge read "0". I posted a ? a few weeks back and before I tried "Flashing the field" it started moving the amp gauge. Now I'm a bit worried about the amount of current it producing. When I'm at 3000 rpms the amp gauge reads over 30 amps. I have a original Series 2 op manual and it notes that I should be producing 22 amps at 3000 rpms.
    In the manual the voltage regulator adjustments are clear for a reg with 3 coils, but the regulator that I have instaled is a Genuine LR part but it has only 2 coils so I'm a bite lost.
    Does anyone know how to adjust this type of regulators volts and current output?

I've just replaced my generator,wiring harness, voltage regulator and amp gauge,so I'm sure the equipment is good.

Thanks

Kurt
    Kurt Warner
    Schenectady,NY USA
    63 Series IIA & 1995 Disco

Before you start changing any adjustments on your regulator, check to see if your battery is getting hot. Check also, to see that your regulator is holding the output voltage down, about 13.5 to 14.5 volts. If it isn't excessively hot, I would be less concerned. The amount of current going in either direction is partly a function of the load on the system, and partly a function of the amount a charge a battery "thinks" it needs.