Thread: 1991 RRC binding noise only in reverse

Default 1991 RRC binding noise only in reverse

First time RRC owner here. Picked up a pretty nice ride and have been fixing things. It has been sitting the better part of 5 years. I've been reading about the Viscous coupling, I have made several full lock turning circles in both directions and all feels like it should. No binding or noise. I do hear and feel what feels like drive train wind up in reverse but I'm going slow and wheels are straight so I doubt its the VC but not sure. Any thoughts on what it could be? It's enough resistance to slow the car down for a quick second then once the binding releases or the car is overcomes the resistance it feels normal till another few feet and it starts to wind up again. I'm going slow like 3mph.

It has a BW transfer case, ZF auto tranny and 300 TDI.

Thanks pb

Perhaps it's the emergency brake drum binding, since it has sat so long. Or maybe a wind-up in the transfer box chain (I think the BW box is chain drive, kinda like a wide timing chain). Just a thought.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Parking brake is a good thought, I'll try dragging the brake next time it happens, see if it gets worse. The binding seems to come and go. You are correct the BW T-case does have chains, I'll have to look at a parts diagram and see what happens in reverse. I'm probably going to swap in a LT230 T-case when I repair my rear main seal leak.
    Thanks for the reply

pb