Thread: New Idea

Default New Idea

I recently purchased a self adhesive protective film from JC Whitney to use between all the parts where steel and alloy join. It isn't very thick but is extremely tough since it was designed to prevent rock chips on door, hoods and rocker pannels. The thickness will seperate the 2 metals but should not interfere with fit. Only time will tell if it works.
    Jim

I always thought it would be a good idea to put a barrier between the dissimilar metals as that is where all the corrosion starts. Jamestown distributers sells a neversieze type product for fastners of different metals for marine applications to prevent corrosion.
    Us guys up north have to worry about these things with the winter weather and roads covered with salt.

Especially with the new liquid de-icers they use on the Maine roads

Default new idea

What's the P/N for this J.C. Whitney product?
    Jim Wolf
    Elvenwood kennel

While this is an excellent idea, if the 2 dissimilar metals are in contact with each other by ANY conductive means, then you will have a galvanic connection which can lead to galvanic corrosion. A bolted connection (assuming you are using a metal bolt) will put the metals in contact unless you make plastic isolators.

I also use neoprene washers under the regular ss washers. I figure any little bit has got to help some. The JC Whitney Item # is Clear Vinyl Body ShieldZX145497XI went on the website and searched for T9020 which is the mfg part # to find it again.
    Jim

Default idea

Thanks for the P/N. They make roofing washers that are galvy and have a long lasting rubber/vinyl insert. I use these several years ago when I put a metal roof on my shed.
    Jim Wolf
    Elvenwood kennel

Your local NAPA also sells 3M Paint Protection Film in several different sized rolls.