Thread: Odd Trans issue

Default Odd Trans issue

Background:

So I have a 76 Series 3 RHD 88. I picked it up about 4 years ago. Banged around town with it and decided to do some work on it. It is meant to be a driver and not a restoration...I would have to replace everything on it.

I drove it all through the gears and in 4wd with no issues. Parked it and took the tub off and fixed where there was some rust on the frame.

Got everything back together and ran into a transmission issue.

The PROBLEM:

It will go into gear (via the lever) but will not engage forward gears or reverse when I let out the clutch. I just hear a light whirring/knocking sound. When I put it in 4wd it will go into all forward and reverse gears. Strange...it seems like something is stuck in place inside the box.

I took the tunnel off and the seat panel. The lever is moving what it should be moving as far as the "fingers on the top of the trans" are concerned.

I opened up the top access panels on the gearbox and the transfer case. Fluid was low but the gears were at least wet and there was no sign of wear on the gears or metal shavings anywhere.

Put fluid in and still had the problem.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

-Andy

Cycle the red lever a bunch of times and make sure that it is all the way forward when you get done. It sounds to me as if one of the transfer case selector rods is not sliding properly and you're only getting slightly past neutral when you try to reengage 2WD (or, less likely, you're not pushing the red lever far enough forward). Make sure you didn't damage the selector rod(s) dust cap on the front of the transfer case; The rods have to slide into and out of the dust cap freely.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).