Know I have been away for a good while, but have been lurking for a while. I picked up a 1988 Defender 110 pickup (non-hicap) a few weeks ago. I am really enjoying driving the RHD, but I do have a few questions on the turbo. The engine runs ok and always starts easily, but it doesn't seem to have any power. I mean I have driven 2.25 petrols with more power...

I noticed a split in the air hose coming from the air cleaner to the turbo, and it appears to have been there for a while, meaning air was bypassing the air filter. I replaced the hose, but also checked the play in the turbo shaft and it seems excessive. Checked it by rocking it up and down, like checking a wheel bearing.

Is there an easy way to check to see if the turbo is doing anything at all? And when I say no power, I mean it won't pull even a slight hill in 5th gear without needing to downshift, and this is without hauling or towing anything. What kind of power should I be expecting out of the TD?

P.S. - So I'm at the auto parts store Saturday, and someone walks up and says, my buddy has one of these, but he never drives it. I think he wants to sell it. So am going to look at a 71 IIA tonight. As if I needed any more Rovers!