Thread: Front stub axle inner bushing

Default Front stub axle inner bushing

I just tore down the front end on my '64 IIA for refurbishment. As I was cleaning up the front stub axles, I noticed the bronze, inner bushings was very beat up, while they other looked very good.

I checked their fit on their respective half-shafts, and was surprised to find that they were BOTH very loose on the half-shafts. Now here's where it get strange....when I measure the diameter of the half-shaft journal, it is about .040" smaller than the outer diameter of the male splines at the outer end of the half-shaft, on both sides. In other words, even if I were to fit new bushings, I would have to open them up so far to get them over the outer splines, they would STILL be loose on the half-shaft journals.

What's going on here? Am I wrong to assume the half shaft should ride fairly snugly in those bushings?

The half shafts themselves are in good shape. The journals are smooth, and undamaged. I don't know their history, but I believe they have been with the truck for several decades, so they are not likely cheap repro parts.

I don't recall that problem on my Series III. Could you be describing part #27 of this diagram? http://www.roversnorth.com/Land-Rover-Parts/69 ?
    Looks like it should be easy to beat out, drive a new one in. Maybe the bearings on one side failed in the past, allowing the axle to slop around and damage the bushing.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by erik88lr View Post
    I don't recall that problem on my Series III. Could you be describing part #27 of this diagram? http://www.roversnorth.com/Land-Rover-Parts/69 ?
    Looks like it should be easy to beat out, drive a new one in. Maybe the bearings on one side failed in the past, allowing the axle to slop around and damage the bushing.

Have fun!
    Yes, #27, but it looks like RN lists them as NLA.

I'm wouldn't be worried about the task of replacing them, but I still don't understand how they are supposed to provide any support to the axle shaft journal when the splines are a larger diameter than the journal???

Quote Originally Posted by erik88lr View Post
    I don't recall that problem on my Series III...
    That's because they are only on early SIIa vehicles. My '69 2a doesn't have them.

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by cnfowler View Post
    That's because they are only on early SIIa vehicles. My '69 2a doesn't have them.

Colin
    Do later trucks have something different, or did they just do away with them?

I'm assuming they did away with them.

Colin