Thread: Ignition Question

Default Ignition Question

Truck was running before the next events..

Spark Plug and Wire Change..

Let's assume someone removed all of the spark plug wires and did not mark where they go...

72 Series III 4 Cylinder.

Hand Cranked the engine and found where the #1 cylinder was at the top. Checked the distributor and assumed that was where the number 1 cylinder plug would go then installed right to left from there 3,4,2.
    Truck now cranks but will not fire. Took out a spark plug and grounded it. We are gettng Spark but it looks very weak to me. Not the nice blue arc I am used to seeing.

Other than the plugs and wires (and of course the wires all being removed) nothing has changed. Even if plugged in wrong I would think the engine would fire and try to run really horribly not just crank and crank...

Am I right in thinking the wires will rotate from 1 3 4 2 around the cap?? Has anyone had issues with Lucas wires?? They do not have a really nice snap into the coil or distributor.

Thanks in advance.

Remember that the #1 cylinder is at top dead center twice for every combustion cycle on a 4-stroke engine--once at the end of the compression stroke, where you want the spark plug to fire, and once at the end of the exhaust stroke, where you DON'T want the spark plug to fire. This is why the crankshaft revolves twice for every one revolution of the ignition rotor.

Your's is probably firing at the end of all the exhaust strokes on all the cylinders, hence absolutely no response from the engine.

Turn the engine over by hand till the ignition rotor is pointing to your current (incorrect) #1 plug wire, then turn the crankshaft one more rev till #1 piston is at TDC again. The rotor should now be in the correct #1 plug wire position.

Of course it goes without saying that you should pay attention to the direction the ignition rotor rotates when you turn then engine over (in the correct direction) so that you can install the subsequent plug wires in their proper locations.
    Last edited by SafeAirOne; 07-20-2017 at 10:21 PM.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

As mark said rhe cylinders pass through TDC twice. When looking from top the rotor spins CCW.
    To check for TDC at firing point remove the valve cover and check that both the exhaust and intake valves are closed. I also think you may be 180deg out.
    THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
    THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
    THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
    THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Also, check whether distributor rotates clockwise or counter clockwisewise. In another UK forum, same problem arose, changed the order of cables to spark plugs solved it.
    1969 RHD Lightweight "Gwen"