Thread: Newbie to the series world

Default Newbie to the series world

I am new to these things but seem to love them. I have purchased 2 of them a 66 2a 109 and a 58 1 88. I have started restoring the 2a, parts seem to be easier to get. I have taken the bed off to see what surprises I might find. The rear cross member and 1 out rigger are the only 2 things that need replacing, frame is in good shape compared to others I have seen. I power washed the frame and rear end. The rear end and leaf springs appear to have been painted yellow at one time. After all of this my question, Everything I have read says the frames and rear ends were gloss black from the factory, am I missing something?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1887.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	12357   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1885.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	12356  

No idea what color OEM frames were, mine is Galv now....
    I think most OEM Frames were '80W90 Colored' hahahahahaha sorry, couldnt resist.

BUT- that 'paint job' on yours is great. Please keep her as is! Looks good with the alum showing.

Satin black for the chassis. Too bad someone poked holes in those very dear almost-impossible-to-come-by 2A doors to mount the stupid truck mirrors.
    Personally not a fan of the bare metal look. Rover went to great lengths to come up with paint that still holds up very nicely 50 odd years on. Fortunately despite the holes the body looks in very good condition. Looks like almost all the parts are there.
    Dunno how much you paid for the pickup, but that's easily a $25K+ truck as it sits assuming that it runs and drives. Take good care of it!
    With a proper restoration it will very easily be in the 100K+ range. Heck, you're halfway there with the paint stripped!

I am stripping the body down, the frame has an appointment at the powder coating shop. I will probably paint it it's original pastel green.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DE7A85AB-2172-4D22-8BBC-29B875AA61BF.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	12495

Frame back with a fresh powder coating. The fun begins.

Chassis and all black parts were gloss black,not satin. They tend to look more satin after 50 or 60 years though.

Thanks, I had it powder coated gloss black, kinda dusty in the picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6272AF8C-F0A0-492D-9167-B4D1661F476C.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	12501

Freshly galvanized parts.

This sh!t is getting real...
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)