Thread: Series IIA Diesel Help

Default Series IIA Diesel Help

I am in the process of re commissioning a 1965 Series IIA diesel. The vehicle came without a motor and I replaced it with a series III 2.25 model.

The question is how do the heater plugs work in this engine? I have not been able to trace power to them. It has the standard diesel ignition switch which has two stops. One is for power to brake lights and the second is to crank the engine. There is no separate switch to turn them on.

Is there some sort of thermal limiting in their design where they will not operate unless very cold?

Thanks,
    Steve

The 2A diesel start switch does indeed have a glow plug stop. If you rotate it slowly you can feel it. It is OFF GLOW ON START (I think that's right). The glow plug circuit is plainly shown in the wiring diagram. If you do a search for it you'll find it online. Big brown wire to switch from lug on starter. Glow circuit tab has brown yellow going to glow plug resistor. There is a dash lamp for the glow plugs. It illuminates when the key switch is on the glow position. There is no automatic timer. You have to do that job yourself.
    If your switch has a key in the middle of the light switch, then someone put a petrol switch on your truck. Diesel switch is on the lower dash next to the pull to stop cable.

Thanks for the reply. I will check the wiring later today but I believe that it is correct. I do still have the correct switch and lighting switch for the diesel. There are three positions on the switch. 1. Off 2. on, which gives power to the brake lights and 3, engine crank. In the #2 position, if left on to give power to the brake lights would that not also be the glow plug circuit?

I have many wiring diagrams and they all seem to be copied from the same book as the color codes are barely legible! That has been one of the more frustrating things about this job. I have also changed from positive ground generator to negative ground alternator with a new wiring harness built to that spec from Auto Sparks in England.

Cheers

Seems like you have a Petrol switch, it should be four positions and not three. Off-Glow-On-Start, as o2 says.

I do feel a very light stop between off and on. It's in the sun now so I will check later and see if that spot works the plugs. It is an aftermarket switch and I've had problems with those sort of things on other cars before.

Thanks