Thread: Inspired

Default Inspired

Seamiler's candor inspired me. I own a 71' 109 Pick-up and a '79 lightweight and am eager to harvest advice. I use them mainly for bouncing around my farm in PA. Lots and lots of rocks. I was wondering if 1)anybody had an opinion on differential guards and 2) the value of adding old emu struts. Thank you

I think using 8" sewer cap is the best bet for diff guards, Keith/Rovertrack and Ike/Pangolin4x4 are big proponents for these. Here are a few pics rom Ike's website: http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4...s/pbr/pbr.html

Shocks can work wonders, but if you have old worn LR springs you are looking at diminished returns. Shocks can do nothing but help but for full effect bushings, springs and shocks may be the order of the day. OME have great products.
    Visit The Wandering Hippo (my 109 S2A Ambulance).

Where are you in PA?

Struts are good but you need to make sure the springs are in good condition or it is all for naught. I have a 72 IIA 109 SW that I just put new pro-comps and parabolics on and it rides great compared to before the switch(tired old springs). I also have a 1962 109 military with tropical top and LR springs(good condition) which rides incredibly well and close to the parabolics in comfort.

How can I gauge quality of the springs

i am outside of Stroudsburg

If they are original, if they look flat compare to other rovers, are they rusty, are the bushings shot? You probably need new springs and bushings.
    Visit The Wandering Hippo (my 109 S2A Ambulance).