Thread: Nasty noise when engaging clutch in first or reverse

Default Nasty noise when engaging clutch in first or reverse

Hi All,

New forum member here.. I have a 1980 series III, right hand drive, was Australian military. Runs and drives quite nicely except there's a loud clanging sound when I let up on the clutch pedal, in first gear or reverse. Once the clutch pedal is all the way up, the noise stops completely, and it doesn't happen when upshifting or downshifting in 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear. There's no bucking motion - just a clanging sound. Sounds like the noise comes from the area below the shift lever (not the rear of the vehicle). It's not an engine noise.. must be in clutch or gearbox/transmission.

Any tips on what might be the cause, and who's qualified to repair it? Located on Cape Cod MA. Thanks!

It's the springs on the clutch plate absorbing the recoil of the plate's release as you disengage the clutch. That slap can be an early sign that you need to replace your clutch plate but it's not cristical. My old plate did that and when I pulled/replaced it, it was in very good condition.
    Last edited by lumpydog; 08-10-2017 at 07:54 PM.
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)