Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learn to weld for frame repairs?

Default Learn to weld for frame repairs?

The frame of my `70 IIA 88" has some nice rust holes and the rear cross member needs to be replaced (plus maybe about 18" of the frame back there). I'm trying to choose between learning to weld so I can do it myself or taking it to a garage. While learning to weld would be fun, my primary issue is probably the price (though getting it done right is pretty important too).

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? If I took a class and learned, could I rent a decent welding rig or would I need to buy one?
    1970 Series IIA
    1964 Series IIA [sold]

I was in a similar situation with my bulkhead. Learning to MIG weld is not difficult, and you can learn basic skills through practice and YouTube videos. The biggest hurdle in this endeavor is the purchase of the welding machine and equipment. You will spend at least $1000 on a proper setup to get the task at hand done. You will have to consider how often you will use this equipment in the future, and if it is worth that kind of investment. If it is a one time project, you may be better off finding someone else to do it for you. Here in Maine, I live close to a boat building yard for Navy ships. There are hundreds of highly trained people who would be happy to take on a project after hours for a little extra cash, and ensure the job is done right.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Even if it cost you more to do it yourself, you'll have the equipment and skills to do the next repair that comes along

It would only cost you more the first time. If you own and work on your rover yourself you will have more opportunities to use it. Knowing how to weld is indispensable. Having your own equipment is even better. You won't need a huge expensive machine to weld a Rover chassis as it's relatively thin material.

Even a cheaper mig welder is going to be in the $1000 ballpark. Lincoln Handy mig, gas bottle, welding gloves, autodarkening welding helmet, a couple of welding clamps, a cheap welding cart, grinder and grinder wheels... it all adds up pretty quickly. I'm not discouraging anyone. I bought a setup, and did my own bulkhead repairs. I'm just trying to give you an idea about the cost of the equipment purchase price.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

You can get what you need at Eastwood for under $500

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-1...5a-output.html
    Doug
    61 Series II 109 SW
    95 RR County LWB
    06 Range Rover
    98 Discovery LE

I would save up for a new chassis

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    I would save up for a new chassis
    Well where's the fun in that?

(I would, too )

Colin

I can't even imagine how much that would cost.
    1970 Series IIA
    1964 Series IIA [sold]

Quote Originally Posted by IIA View Post
    I can't even imagine how much that would cost.
    $2799 plus shipping

http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDe...IIA&type=0&eq=