Thread: Filling Diesel in California

Default Filling Diesel in California

Hi all,
    My RHD/ military spec 68 Series IIA just arrived in California a few weeks ago and it came time to feed her some diesel. Issue being that California spec Diesel nozzles do not appreciate the large opening of my (I believe to be) pictured military spec fuel tank (which has an opening under the front seat).

Short of using a Jerry can I was wondering if anyone had come up with a creative solution to this issue.

HI

The filler pipe can be removed. Twist left or right while pulling on easy and the whole pipe and cap will come out
    It made much easier on my 109 nada to put gas into it

josh
    1967 Land Rover 109
    1966 Land Rover 109

Joshua Tyler

What doesn't it like about your fill hole? They don't use any vapor recovery stuff on the diesel nozzles (or at least they didn't from 2004-2006) and on side-fill tanks, the diesel shoots right down the gullet. Even the enormous semi-truck filler nozzles seemed to work well for me, so long as I paid attention to reduce flow as the tank neared full.

As a side note, when I've borrowed someone's military 109 (petrol), I never bothered to raise the filler neck because I have a fuel nozzle attached to a gas station fuel pump and its pretty easy to shove that nozzle in the hole down there without making a mess. To my knowledge, that filler neck is only raised when you fill from Jerry cans so you can begin the pour without spilling fuel all over the place trying to hit the hole way down on the tank.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

I've found that the McCuff, which is built for motorcycles will make just about any gas pump work. It works for my Sires 1 which has a very similar under seat tank as well as my side fill series 3, 200TDI Disco and Defender. It tricks the vapor recovery on the petrol pump and prevents the diesel one from popping all the time. Might want to give it a try, I've got one in each car.

http://www.mccuff.com

Found another station around the street from me that for some reason worked with no issues. Guess problem solved.

Where in CA are you, you should stop by the workshop if you're in the LA area.
    Steve Beres - Los Angeles Area
    Co-Host of The Underpowered Hour Podcast

Listen to The Underpowered Hour

1951 Series I NADA 80"
    1967 Series IIA NADA 109" (#339)
    1973 Series III NADA 88"
    1984 Series III 109" V8
    1993 Camel Trophy Discovery
    1994 Defender NAS 90
    2003 G4 Freelander
    2021 TReK Defender 110 (#64)

Check out The Beres Collection